15 December, 2006

The Race is On...

It's on, and it feels like a race to me. The finish line is Christmas and in these last remaining days it's as though I'm in the sprint. I'm reminded of Nora, Jamie Lee Curtis' character, in "Christmas With The Kranks". She dashes about in a frenzy, searching for a Hickory Honey Ham, her daughter's favorite, in an attempt to provide the perfect Christmas with precious little time to spare. These sprint-to-Christmas thoughts dominated my mind as I drove to church last evening for our monthly Congregation Council meeting. As is customary, December's meeting includes balloting for election of officers. I watched in stunned disbelief as my name was the last one remaining on the dry-erase board for VP, this is the one job that I have always felt the least suited for; it involves, among other things, working with (overseeing/managing/resolving) personnel issues. I bolt from conflict. The Congregation Council elected me? For this?? I am still reeling from the shock. With God's help and guidance I will serve my church congregation, the body who elected me to Council in the first place, I will rise to this challenge... and yet, I am terrified. The sprint-to-Christmas has been replaced in the thoughts dominating my mind now with the larger race; and I'd better get myself ready. God has begun in me the training necessary for His service and I know that this coach will stay beside me every step of the way; thanks be to God! So now, in the meantime, I have some gifts to finish up and wrap, menus to plan... and my running shoes to find!

Life is Good!

4 comments:

Jim V said...

Remember the two most important words in dealing with personell issues (as perfected by Donald Trump)...

"Your fired"

Just kidding....

You'll be a better VP than you ever thought possible. It's no fun hanging out in your comfort zone anyway... amazing how often God removes us from our comfort zones, isn't it?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks, Jim; I appreciate your confidence. Please pray that I am granted the strength and wisdom to handle this. (I'm assuming you jumped to beta since you're posting again? Hope it was smooth and seamless.)

Simonetta said...

A wish, I am sure that everything will go for the correct verse!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Y'know, Mz G, I've had the sense that you are a Listener. And that would be the most important skill for this kind of work. Take a look at your spiritual gifts -- do you have among them wisdom, per chance? I was teaching about spiritual gifts a couple of weeks ago (did my senior paper in seminary on this topic) and pointed out to my students that the Spirit gifts throughout a person's lifetime, not just at baptism, to accomplish the work that needs to be done at a given time. So think about all of this . . . . And I suspect you will be excellent in this role!