14 June, 2011

What's For Supper?

Today is joyous day for children where we live; the last day of school and the beginning of summer vacation! I can easily recall the seemingly endless chain of glorious summer days when I was a little girl (in those days before air conditioning, with big fans fitted snugly into window frames) they always concluded with a home-cooked, hot meal on the table at suppertime. Well, almost always. There were a few rare occasions, every summer, when we ate a different kind of evening meal, outside on our screened-in porch. It was a supper I always loved and looked forward to: Uneeda Biscuits* and milk! Dad worked for the local highway department and on those hot and humid days when it was just too uncomfortable to heat up the kitchen, and my Dad was beat from resurfacing roads outside all day in the scorching temperatures, Mom would get down that familiar box from the kitchen cupboard, along with the cereal bowls, and carry them out to the porch table with the oilcloth cover. I would carry the spoons, and the sugar bowl! Later on, after I grew up and left home, those screens became windows and that porch space was claimed for year-round living; transformed into a family room. In my mind, though, it was always a porch; and, even now, a hot and humid day can transport me right back there to my chair at that very same table, and my most favorite of all summertime meals. Ah, summer... bring it on!

Life is Good!
*Sadly, Nabisco has discontinued making these crackers.
They've gone away with those big ol' window fans...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Nane said...

Never seen these before....

Marie said...

I remember those, and yes they were so good.I have been in a thinking back mode the last few days and what a great childhood we had !Hugs, Marie

LizA. said...

Growing up in NY & NJ I definitely remember those long, hot, hazy, humid summer days. I don't know that we ever had the biscuits though....

Teresa said...

Reminds me of when we would have cornbread and milk (my father liked butter milk). Crumble the cornbread into a large glass of mild and enjoy - easy recipe.

regan said...

We never had those crackers, but my older sister used to love to put crumbled saltines in a big, pre-tupperware rubbery cereal bowl with milk, and eat the mushy mess. The rest of us kids would refer to it as 'the smelly bowl'....and it really stunk...you couldn't get that stink out of it!

Your cracker meal sounds much better!

Pat said...

You sure brought back a memory. Our big-treat-in-the-summer dinner was strawberry shortcake, with home made biscuits and whipped cream. I will have to make that some time for my grands!