25 January, 2012

TGCDP*, The Final Installment

 
With the fabric all folded and stacked, (and the walls and trim drying from their facelift) I began going through the mounds piles mountains of other "stuff" that were exposed, laid bare, outside of the closet. First, I separated out all of the UFO's. Here they are, for identification purposes: 
I have decided to keep only nine, that decision was based on two things: 1.) space (and the fact that I have nine bins) and 2.) interest. The allotted space (and number of bins) is a finite thing, the interest level is much more changeable. I approached the interest question like this: "Is this something that I really want, and truly desire, to spend time finishing?" If there was any question at all it simply didn't make the cut to the final nine. Life is too short to spend hours, days and weeks on anything that isn't compelling; there's too many other quilts that I want and need to stitch!  And so, I am officially out of the closet, my work there is  done; I reloaded the shelves today with a place for everything and innumerable trips to the car (loading the trunk with Goodwill and Guild donations) as well as to the trash can.  I am both exhausted and exhilarated at the same time.
While I was going through boxes, I unearthed a few relics, an eight pointed star (below) made in 1992 using the Magic Star-8 Ruler (another buried treasure!) by Mace Motif. The neat thing about this is that all the star edges are finished, the points are stitched and then turned making this star ready to applique onto any background. I have always loved playing with stripes, and fussy cutting, the reunion with this tool was a happy one! Stay tuned for a fun and funky (more up to date, fabric-wise) galaxy from here...oh, yeah; that is, after those other aforementioned nine are done! I almost forgot.

And one more time, to recap... just because I can
* The Great Closet Documentation Project

Tomorrow? Piles of paperwork, all those lists, patterns, reference guides and drawings
that have floated to the surface during the excavation; a quilter's work is never done.
Life is Good!

18 comments:

Carol said...

awesome! isn't it wonderful to be at the FINISH! You did a great job. Mine is finished as well and I will send a few pictures. Bear in mind my closet is NOT related to my quilting/sewing, but my craft and catch all closet. But you will understand the dilemma.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

It looks wonderful! Well done...perserverance at it's finest!

(btw, when you come to bee at my house, remind me not to let you see my studio! Oh, the shame!)

Janet O. said...

Congrats on a grand finish, Mrs. G.--and to DH, too, for the baseboard and painting!

Paula, the quilter said...

Yay!! I came home from work and started putting the fabric back onto shelves. As I find fabric I really do not want to play with anymore, I throw it on the flow. That stack is getting quite large! I think I am going to find out if the guild wants some fabric (FQ)as door prizes at the retreat in March.

FabricandFlowers said...

You are so inspiring. I've had enough of my clutter. It's time to let go of things I'm never going to sew. It was fun to watch you tackle your mountains.

Little Penpen said...

Looks great! And so do the new baseboards. Wish I was close enough to go to your Goodwill this week! :-)

regan said...

I love all the before and after pics! Great job! And YAY for hubby finishing the woodwork AND painting! Woohoo! He's a keeper!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Great job! You have inspired me - I have done some cleaning out and reorganizing but I'm going to do more. If I don't love it I don't need it. :) blessings, marlene

Salem Stitcher said...

It is amazing how huge the impact is of just sorting and refolding the six shelves of fabric has on the overall appearance. Very inspiring!

LizA. said...

Job well done. You deserve a hold star for all that work.

cityquilter grace said...

oh yeah, big difference; a job well done and worth the effort

MJMR said...

Job well done. It looks great. Now let's see how long it stays that way. If you are like me only a week (day) or two!

AnnieO said...

Your stick-to-it-iveness is truly admirable and now you can rest on knowing your sorting and culling has left only projects you love!

Nice finish from Mr. G too :)

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

It looks so much more AIRY in there...like you can BREATHE! Oh, I need to do this too..but since it gets worse before it gets better, I"m not likely to start it just..YET -----

Teresa in Music City said...

Congratulations!!! Great job and very inspiring to all of us too!

SpinningStar said...

Beautiful! Great light, like the new baseboard. You will be enjoying the ease of finding stuff!
Liz

Laura said...

It looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the whole process with us!

Tanya said...

Wow, the Goodwill got a good deal if you turned over some of your UFO's! Good for you!