04 November, 2013

Living Life On The Edge...

...the edge of the quilt, that is! How much time and attention do you spend on the binding of each quilt? I seem to have a knack for turning even the most simple of tasks into something much more complicated. This quilt didn't prove to be one bit different. For some reason (that defies logic today) I chose to place a one inch outer border on this one back in 1997 when it was pieced. In scouring through my scraps I located enough of that same fabric for binding but it couldn't be bound from one, long, continuous strip as I had taken pains way back then to keep that teeny, tiny dark print all going in the same direction. The binding needed to be cut and applied likewise. Each side was cut with the direction of the print and bound separately, continuing that 'right side up' insanity thinking. Here it is, basted into position and ready for those final, finishing, hand stitches. Each quilt presents its own set of challenges from beginning to end. When choosing a binding I admit to making many decisions: do I want it to blend or contrast, will I have enough fabric to cut the binding on the straight grain (always my first choice for a straight, flat edge), will I use a binding embellishment (piping, flange) as one final accent or would the overall quilt be best served without? I give it my all, right to the outer edge! Isn't this what God wants from us as well? To live our lives and best serve Him right up until that very last day? On the recommendation of a blog friend I am reading Nearing Home by Billy Graham and am caught up in his philosophy of giving God our very best each and every day, regardless of our age. It's a profound and uplifiting read for everyone, I've had my eyes opened to a few role modeling concepts that delight me. Wherever you are in your process: living out your days, or stitching your quilts, don't skimp on the details as you near the finish line... rather, SPRINT, give it your all; you know that last effort is worth your finest work, God knows that too, He's known it all along!
Life is Good!

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a lovely post . . . and, yes, the finishing details DO make a difference!

Janet O. said...

I always love your analogies, Mrs. G.! Such good food for thought!
I recognize that tiny print, and am amazed at your painstaking directional application of the binding. I consider myself a detail person, but I think you have me trumped!! : )

Unknown said...

I'm impressed!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I love that floral print ... it's beautiful! As always, you provided me with brain food to stop and think for awhile .. thank you!! Linda

Tanya said...

Thank you for your lovely post. And a wonderful way of life. I will go look up Dr. Graham's book. He is such an inspiration.

Nane said...

I am guilty as charged of wanting to shortcut the ending to be done. Hopefully I won't do that in my physical and spiritual life. I still want to use piping someday but maybe a flange is a little more forgiving???

lindsey said...

Beautiful binding and beautiful truth, I have made a note of the book and will look for it on kindle. Thanks for sharing :)