10 December, 2013

One Day At A Time...

Through all the busy-ness that is this time of year I have managed to keep calm and avoid stress, all the while staying on task, by doing one thing...one day at a time. This is a new approach for me... normally I rush head-long into December like it is a race and I fail to pace myself. Using the tortoise and the hare as an analogy I typically crash like the hare sometime just before Christmas eve. This year think of me as the tortoise; I have written a list: yesterday's lone assignment was the Chrismon Tree. Check. The day before that it was the window candles and the front door wreath. Check. And so it goes; it's all too easy to become overwhelmed by a never ending "to do" list of jobs that should be filled with joy in this season of preparation. This year, for me, taking it slow and steady... one day at a time, is providing breathing space and allowing focus and dedication to that one job of the day... the joy isn't stolen from me anymore and by slowing down I find myself enjoying the process; and, even, discovering that joy is magnified. I can't ever remember looking happily and expectantly to that next thing on the list as much as I am right now! Coincidence? How do you prepare your home and your heart throughout Advent? Consider the wisdom of the tortoise, it has worked for me. From our home to yours I wish you peace and blessings of this season.
 Christmas cards addressed and ready to mail. 
Check.

Life is Good!

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

Sounds like you have worked out a good plan. Pacing is so smart.
I fit things in when I can. When I run out of time, some things just don't happen. DH and I were both sick last December, and I never did get the Christmas cards done. Hopefully that won't happen again this year. : )

Quiltdivajulie said...

Making a list and prioritizing are essential. All too often we get caught up in the fluff stuff and miss out on the important things.

Pretty tree!!

Shakerwood said...

I think you have opened my eyes to a new way of approaching this monumental task. And I thank you for that, my friend!

Doniene said...

Such wisdom! For the past several years, I've approached this season the same way - one to savor and enjoy! Thanks for sharing with us all!

Blessings!

lindsey said...

You tree is looking wonderful, I love lists and ticking off.....or checking as you may say :)

LizA. said...

Wise advice....but I'm so far behind it will be Valetine's Day before I'm ready for Christmas.....

Paula, the quilter said...

I have been doing it one bite at a time, too. I was going to make my Christmas cards again this year, but I purchased some instead. It is a bit easier and gives time for something else.

AnnieO said...

Good strategy to extend the season of wonder! I recently started making a practice of leaving the house five minutes before I normally would. A simple thing but eases the rushed feeling/stress! Have a joyful season!

Carrie P. said...

got my packages and cards in the mail yesterday. I am all done except shopping for Christmas dinner and cooking it, of course.