24 May, 2014

"Turtle" Blessings

Billie and "friends"
Meet my friend, Billie. I've been privileged by the friendship of this dear lady since 1975 when I became a member of our church as a young bride. She took me under her wing and introduced me around, we've been friends ever since; she is living model of Christian faith and love.  Billie was my husband's Sunday School teacher when he was a young boy; later on she taught our own children in that same Sunday School program when they were three year olds, she watched them grow and, a few years back, attended each of their weddings! One thing that Billie has always loved (as much as children) is turtles; she's received many as gifts from friends and family and, over time, has accumulated every type of turtle figurine and motif, her is collection vast!  From a very young age our son began calling this friend of mine, his Sunday School teacher, "Ms. Turtle"; he couldn't pronounce her real name... as time progressed his title for her shortened, simply to "Turtle." That was just fine with her!  On Thursday I hosted the Quilt Ministry Potluck Picnic at our home. Billie, of course, came bearing a covered dish which I expected; but, what I didn't expect was a box full of carefully wrapped turtles from her collection... she wanted us all to take one as a special gift from her! She had already given our grandchildren some of her own turtle ornaments at Christmastime for their trees; I was surprised and saddened to think of her giving away what has always been so precious to her. The turtles were a big hit; everyone selected one as a special souvenir from Billie. After our picnic concluded I followed my friend to her car to say good-bye before she drove off. I told her how sad this turtle "give-away" of hers made me. She gave me a tight hug and a huge smile. "Don't be" she replied "it gives me great joy to know my friends will keep them for me."  I can't be sad now, not after that!  I have a new friend in the studio today, I learned that this bright little friend came all the way from Russia! I will take good care of her; I've named her BJ for "Billie's Joy."  How could I do anything else? Not that I need a physical souvenir to remember my special friend, I've been showered with constant "Turtle" blessings for, oh, let me see... almost the last 39 years!
BJ
Life is Good!

10 comments:

45th Parallel Quilter said...

What a beautiful, kind tribute to an amazing friend. You are truly blessed.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Loved reading this. Also thinking how wonderful this lady is to give those turtles away HERSELF. Takes a special grace, I think. I've always been very fond of turtles myself.

Quiltdivajulie said...

How wise Ms. Turtle is . . . and gracious. You are indeed blessed!

LizA. said...

How very special....

Katy said...

I follow your blog daily. You and your realtionships with others is inspiring. Keep writing the good news.

Katy said...

I look forward to reading your blog each day. What a beautiful friend.
Keep up the great writing of "good news".

quiltmom anna said...

Our collections of our special treasures reflect our personalities. Billy Joe sounds like a real treasure. Did you know that Mother Earth is sometimes called Turtle Island because the land is like her shell.
My teaching assistant also collects turtle things and I have found her a couple of pieces for her collection.
I have little pieces of my grandmother's possessions in my sewing room. They make feel like she is with me when I am creating in my quilting room. I am sure the turtle will have the same effect in your lovely space. Happy creating and Happy Happy Anniversary,
Regards,
Anna

Paula, the quilter said...

The turtle is also good luck. Did you know? So you are doubly blessed.

Janet O. said...

A little melancholy, yes, but awfully sweet! : )

AnnieO said...

Selecting special turtles for her friends sounds wonderful. At my husband's aunts funeral gathering there was a table full of bells she collected and we were all encouraged to take one. It seemed kind of awkward. I like Billie's method a lot!