24 April, 2020

Meet the Happy Dressmaker

I received a recorded voice text from our youngest granddaughter, Lynnleigh, this morning as we were eating our breakfast. "Nana, I made a dress" she said; it was accompanied by this photograph. Doesn't she look proud of herself? She should be! She subsequently sent three more little videos explaining how she accomplished this dressmaking feat. It was all her own idea; she used two T-shirts, cut one apart and used the bottom portion to form the skirt, she attached it, by hand, and was quick to point out how she pinned it together and that she switched from a running stitch to a whip stitch somewhere in the construction process. 😉 She had taken her sewing kit home with her after her last sewing lesson here, (it's a good thing that she did!) she's putting all of her sewing supplies to good use! Her enthusiasm was contagious, it was a great way to start the day! I was surprised to see how long her hair had grown in these last weeks, but we're all in the same boat there (see below for more on that hairy subject!).

I did a screen shot from one of her video clips and came away with this "model" shot:
Can you believe this? Seven years old going on seventeen!
I haven't seen any of our grands in what seems like forever, 
I hope it's not ten years before we're reunited!

Adapting to changes in this upside down🙃 world: Our governor has announced a three phase plan for opening the state back up. To begin with the stay-at-home order remains in place through May 8. After that, the phases will allow the systematic opening of more businesses with strict restrictions in place; slowly, as the weeks pass more restrictions will be relaxed one by one if the numbers of virus cases don't escalate. During the governor's speech yesterday I received a text from my hair stylist asking if we could move my already rescheduled (April 16 to May 5) appointment to May 20th. She was responding to the phases as they were being announced. "Yes", I replied, "but I'll be in a ponytail by then!"  As the details of the phases became increasingly apparent the May 20th appointment was ultimately moved to June 2! That's twelve weeks between trims, normally I go in every five weeks. I can certainly learn to live with longer hair, we'll see how it turns out!  Stay safe, 🧼wash your hands!

I ordered this bracelet, it's my new motto.

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -2 Timothy 1:7
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Jeannine said...

That is so sweet - and wonderful! Good for her!

cityquilter grace said...

oooh a budding sewist...how wonderful! and yes the shaggy look is definitely in these days...making shopping with those masks problematic what with glasses fogging up and hair hanging in eyes...lol

Teresa said...

She did a good job, maybe she will become a designer! I know how you feel about hair cuts...I needed one when all this started. My daughter in law gave my husband a hair cut. I was tempted to tell her to give me a buzz cut, too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

That screen grab is almost scary with how grown and gorgeous she looks -- I'm sure your heart is bursting with joy over her dress making adventure. My hair was cut in early March and won't be again until late June at the earliest (or later if I don't feel comfortable about going to the shop).

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Lynnleigh is gorgeous. And brilliant. But what would one expect? She's got good genes! And as to the hair situation, last night I offered some barrettes to Himself . . . .

Tanya said...

Wow! A seamstress and a model! Which career will she choose? She’s going to be a beauty someday!

Debbie B said...

Kudos to your grandaughter. She did an awesome job. And I love that she is so proud of her project. I am with you on the hair deal. I keep mine short also, with cuts about 5 weeks apart, but it's overdue to say the least. I have even resorted to using some ancient hair barrettes I found to keep it out of my face. I'm not sure why I still have them, but I'm glad I do. Take care!

sunny said...

How cool is she?? And adorable, too. I hope you get the opportunity to hug her in the very near future. My hair is beyond awful. I've decided to grow out my bangs, and let my color to natural. Well, really the decision was made for me, but I figure now's as good a time as any to experiment! Love your bracelet.