19 August, 2020

Too Much?


I've been quilting pumpkins and leaves on "The Quiet Road". I fell in love with the pantograph and really wanted to add a bit of color and lots of texture to this simply pieced quilt top. 
As I worked along however, row after densely quilted row, I wondered if it was a perfect example of a project that was completely over-quilted; maybe this was just too much. I used a TON of thread! 
Off the frame and ready for inspection: no, I didn't feel that it was over-done any longer, I really liked the result-- this was exactly the way I had pictured this in my mind's eye.
The diagonal plaid on top is the chosen fabric for the binding, the orange piece, underneath is the backing. I am considering piping the binding with the orange. But then, the more I thought about it I wondered if, again, this was too much--  this time I'm thinking about the work involved just to get that binding applied and done, an additional step (albeit a striking one). Would this extra bit actually be gilding the lily? No, I hope not, I have to stop talking myself out of things! I'm going for it, why not? This humble quilt is getting the royal treatment all the way through to that final stitch!
But, back to the original question;
can you have too much of a good thing? 


Let me tell you the answer to that: "yes, you can"! A week ago Friday, at my well-patient exam, my PCP reminded me that it was time for me to receive the pneumonia vaccine. "Okay", I thought, "that's a good idea." I received the injection before leaving his office. At this same visit he suggested that I look further into getting both part #1 of the shingles vaccine as well as the flu shot which is available. He thought that it would serve me better, insurance-wise, to check into those at the local pharmacy. I was well-intentioned when I left his office and thought about getting to that right away. Then the ache set in; that pneumonia shot HURT, and ACHED, by Sunday that week I could barely lift my arm. I did call the local pharmacy a few days later and checked into receiving the other two. They pulled my paperwork and told me to come in when it was convenient. If you know me, you know that I like things to be quick and efficient. To have this all taken care of in one step seemed smart and like good time management. So, one week later, after the pain had barely subsided from the pneumonia vaccine I received two more vaccines in that same arm. (To me , at the time, it seemed smart to leave a "good" arm to roll onto while sleeping.) Those two put me over the edge; not with an aching arm this time, but with complete and pure fatigue. I was, literally, wiped out. I suppose my body didn't understand what antibodies it was supposed to be developing and supplying; I had reached overload status. If I live to serve any purpose, it is to be an example. Too much; sometimes, it just that-- too much! Moderation would have been a better guiding word here; if you need vaccinations I would suggest spacing-- them-- out. If for no other reason, simply to understand which vaccine you may be reacting to at any one time. Now I know-- and, hopefully, so do you; sometimes too much is NOT a good thing. Today, everything's back to normal and it's all good. 

Life is Good!



9 comments:

Ramona said...

Thank you for the advice regarding the vaccines. We don't know what will happen until we go through some of these things. Regarding your beautiful quilt, I think using the backing fabric as a flange with the plaid will be gorgeous! I just love your quilting.

AnnieO said...

I think adding the special binding sounds great! It looks lovely.
The Shingrix shot knocked me sideways too—I felt crappy the whole day after each dose. But having the Shingles was much much worse—that pain lasted for more than three weeks. So when you get your second Shingrix shot , plan on having a sick day the next day!

Lindah said...

Oh, my! I'm glad you are back to normal now. You are braver than I. I spaced my shots out over a spring thru fall time period. But, I am so glad for them. Especially that shingles vacc. We have had several friends become quite seriously ill with that over the past few years. Not good. Your quilt and the quilting are lovely. The special binding will set it off beautifully. What fun!

Lindah said...

What I meant in my comment was that our friends became seriously ill with the shingles disease and so therefore, I am thankful for the shingles vaccine.

Lcrrkhs said...

Thank you for the warning on the shots. I turn 50 next month and they want to give me many of these vaccines. I'm OK with it, but my gut instinct to spread them out was right, based on your experience!

Love the pumpkin quilt!

straythreads said...

My 2 nd shingles shot knocked me for a loop last year.
I think that little orange piping would really make that quilt pop. Your quilting looks great the piecing is so simple that more quilting works.

Susan said...

I absolutely love everything about your quilt! It all came together so beautifully!

Millie said...

I've had all those vaccines, but I didn't get them all at once. I got my 2nd pneumonia vaccine this week and chose the wrong arm - it isn't the arm I use to write or sew with so I thought I'd be fine. It was, however, the arm I sleep on, so I needed some ibuprofen before bed for a couple of nights.

You definitely want to get the new Shingles vaccine though. Yes, it is tough, but Shingles is something you DEFINITELY want to avoid.

Good luck, and I do not think your quilt is too much. But then, look who is talking!
:-)
Lynne (Millie is the cat)

Tanya said...

Oh dear... Learn the hard way I guess. I would have thought some medical person would have advised you to wait between shots... I don't even think we HAVE Shingles vaccines where I live... I'm going to be sure to get the flu shot this year though!