23 November, 2020

The Great Reconstruction

There were plenty of really good guesses as to what Gregory was holding in his outstretched hands last week, everything from Santa's beard material to shorn wool to pasta remnants to raw cotton to milkweed silk and cotton candy; NO to all of the above, but thanks for playing along. 
Here's the answer, pictured left. Shocking isn't it? This is what's left of polyester batting, it has morphed into another strange and weird material all together, this after 300+ machine washings and dryings. 🤯 

It all began six years ago, innocently enough, like all good stories do. 
This picture appeared in a blog post back in November of 2014. The then 4-year-old wanted a "soft quilt" for his birthday, one with "cowboys, farms, tractors, trains, horses and race cars" on it. He didn't want it to be "quilted" but rather tied, instead, for loft and softness. I made the top all from flannels that I found on the Internet searching for his specific motif requests and backed it with Minkee (in a race car print) for additional softness. I filled it with an extra-loft poly batting, he loved it. The now 10-year-old loves it still. In fact, it's been his constant companion for the last six years and had fallen into a state of lumpiness and disrepair that's even hard to describe. I offered to make him a new one. 
He wanted nothing to do with a replacement quilt, not at all! He wanted his soft quilt repaired "that's all" he whispered to me. That's all. As you can see from the photo above it was replete with holes and split seams, the batting needed replacing and I set to work. First I removed all of the binding, wrapped it around a card for later and cut out each of the ties, one by one.
Slowly, it all came apart. There was really very little of that original heinous batting remaining, what was still in there had pretty much settled into the four corners. 
So weird!
With the top freed from its batting, backing and binding, I re-stitched and reinforced each seam all over again. 
Once that was done I turned my attention to patching up the holes that weren't in the seam lines. 
Luckily, I still had a stack of the original flannels used it the construction to make the patches. You can see how faded the top has become compared to original pieces.
Now that the top was whole again, I layered it with two layers of poly batting (this time I used a more stable batt, one with scrim) and commenced the tying. It's a time consuming and tedious task, but let's be honest here-- we will do anything for our grandchildren. I put on a Hallmark movie while I worked.
Finally, it was time to reapply the binding. I was fearful that the binding might not fit the same way, once removed, and held my breath while pinning it in place; but, my fears were for nothing, it fit perfectly! This was the ideal job for Saturday afternoon while my achey-self was battling the side effects of the second dose of the 2-part shingles vaccine. I sat by a cozy fire in the fireplace and hand stitched this down between naps. I kept reminding myself that the temporary side-lining was far superior to actually contracting shingles! Bright and early Sunday morning I felt much, much better...
...and Gregory's "soft quilt" was all done- once again! This reconstruction was quite the undertaking, but a sweet boy's quiet words kept replaying in my mind: "I just need it repaired, that's all." 💗 Is there any higher compliment that can be paid to a quiltmaker anywhere, a quilt that's literally been loved to death? I think not. This is the Velveteen Rabbit of quilts right here. We went by his house to drop it off yesterday afternoon.
This was all the thank you that I needed. Just like I said six years ago, "I think he likes it!"

Life is Good!

13 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

that cuddle is payment indeed....

Bridget said...

yes, we have a googi quilt in this house. The fabric is literally worn out and some cannot be replaced. I can make her a more grown up quilt but never one that will be loved as much. It fills up this mother's heart.

NanaNor's said...

Happy Thanksgiving Week dear friend! Loved seeing how cherished your grandson's quilt was and how you repaired it. I've gone to using all cotton or wool batting and haven't had any issues with it scrunches up. I had shingles when I was 42(ugh)and then at 62 got the single Shingles shot. I've heard that many get reactions from it so have hesitated to get this new two dose shot. I will say I hope I don't ever get the disease again. Praying you feel better soon.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Noreen

Ramona said...

What a wonderful story! When I gift a quilt, I make sure the recipient knows it is to be used and loved. Gregory has certainly loved his quilt and now has many more years with his treasure. :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

High praise indeed -- and you are such a good Nana!

Debbie B said...

Great story! I had a similar story with one I made for my youngest son to take to college. It was high loft poly batting with flannel top and back and tied also. Many years later he showed to me pieces that were left. It was in shreds. No reconstruction to do. But obviously well loved. Love the pic of him with his quilt. Such a "lovie"!

( Terri ) Ellen Goodding Anderson said...

Having had shingles 5 times, you are right to think of the shots to hopefully avoid them. I've had the shots and shingles 3 times since. I discovered the culprit. When I am on prednisone for asthma, I end up with shingles. Cute story. Beautiful quilt. Amazing boy

Janet O. said...

I really enjoyed the story of Gregory's quilt.

straythreads said...

what a good grandma you are to "fix the quilt" glad you are feeling better after the shingles shot the second one threw me for a loop too
Happy Thanksgiving

jude's page said...

Well done Grandma, what more could a quilter ask for??

Tanya said...

What a great story of love! For a grandson, for a quilt, for a great grandmother who can do anything! I'm shocked at that batting though! Is that what always happens to long used quilts? Hmmm...

Annette Dalrymple said...

What a heartwarming story of how precious that quilt is to your grandson.

Do you recall what the pattern is? I'm planning to make a quilt of things that "vroom vroom" for a two year old who will be welcoming a new brother in a couple months.

Always enjoy your blog.

AnnieO said...

You’re a good grandmother indeed to take all the time to make it all better! Glad it came together as you hoped.
The Shingrix shots made me feel terrible, fluish, the day after each. I made sure to schedule the second one before a day off work! The Shingles are much much worse. My case lasted almost 3 weeks before all the lesions stopped hurting and went away.