31 May, 2021

One Scoop, Please!

I decided that I would like to add a new hopping foot option to Snowbird a few weeks ago, I really wanted a Scoop Foot. Since my longarm is not one of the newer machines that has the quick change option, that addition that I craved was going to necessitate installing an upgrade kit to make this happen. Mr. Goodneedle agreed to do the installation and I placed the order. The job was a labor intensive one, but it's been accomplished and I couldn't be happier now to have the option of changing out my hopping feet depending on the project. "Why?", you may ask. Let me explain. Up until recently I had been perfectly happy quilting everything with my standard-issue 1/4" hopping foot. Here's that foot. It gets the job done, is a true 1/4" and works beautifully for both pantographs and ruler work. You might remember those T-shirt quilts that I did earlier this spring. This was the first time that I encountered differences in thicknesses while quilting on the pantograph (or back) side of the machine. Those stabilized T-shirts were slightly thicker than the sashing fabric and whenever this hopping foot would encounter a slightly raised seam it needed coaxing up and over. The stitching was still perfect, it was just part of the rhythm of quilting those two quilts. I knew about the scoop foot and it was these small "challenges" that led me to do the research and, ultimately, to place the order.
And here's the Scoop! As you can see, those cupped edges will smoothly travel up and over any differences in thickness, I love it!  I am so glad that I have opened myself up to a new option and have moved forward and made the change. How many times do we miss out on the very best when we're content to simply leave things the way they are because it requires less effort? I know that I can be guilty of that.
Speaking of the very best: here's another antique quilt top that was rescued to now live its BEST life! I was privileged to be able to quilt this one. Think about living your best life, what little changes are within your control to help make this happen? You never know, you might just be joyfully surprised!
I wish you all a happy Memorial Day today. 
This quilt isn't mine, (but I wish it was!!) it is from Quilted Threads
one of my favorite quilt shops, located in Henniker, NH.

Life is Good!  


7 comments:

Carol K said...

I enjoy your blog! That scoop foot is not one I was familiar with. I think the flag quilt is by Jo Kramer and was published in American Patchwork and Quilting. She wrote a blog post about it -- https://www.joscountryjunction.com/where-we-are-published-fly-the-flag/

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for a successful installation and a happy quilter.

Janet O. said...

I had to have a conversion done to my machine to accept different feet. I haven't tried the scoop foot yet, but I've been eyeing it.
And thanks to your recommendation, I can heartily agree that Quilted Threads is a great quilt shop!

Elle said...

That flag quilt is actually by Jo at Country Junction. https://www.joscountryjunction.com/where-we-are-published-fly-the-flag/

Good to know there is an optional hopping foot!!!!

cityquilter grace said...

glad you found an easier option....lovely flag and shop too...

Bridget said...

You think like my brother thinks. As a kid I had always sewn on my mother's sewing machine (why not? she never did!). When my family wanted to surprise me with a new sewing machine, every machine shop tried to convince my brother to get a "starter" machine and work my way up. My brother thought that you cannot reach your fullest potential unless you had a machine with enough bells and whistles so you could do what you could imagine...he was right!! LOL

Tanya said...

I've never heard of a scoop foot! Thanks for educating me.

The quilt that you rescued is just beautiful and the traditional quilting just matches the feel of it!