31 January, 2022

All Tied Up

Recently my parents gave me a new carry-on sized travel suitcase. My old one had made many trips in almost thirty years of hard use and was literally falling apart. I'm thrilled with the new one, it was a lovely, big surprise! I found this, tucked in the outer pocket. A pretty batiste handkerchief with a knot tied firmly in one corner. I knew immediately what it was, it transported me in time. Suddenly I was very young again, in the basement classroom of our church's parsonage where the preschool aged Sunday School class was held. There were two large, round tables with pint sized chairs arranged around one; the second table had a single chair sitting in the center, situated up on top. That seat was reserved as the "naughty" chair. If we talked out of turn or acted up we were hoisted up into that elevated chair to serve as an example of how not to behave! I remember our white haired teacher, a crabby little old lady who I believed back then, and still do today, was someone who didn't like children; she and her husband never had any of their own. Let's just say I served my time in an elevated position more than once in those days. It's funny the things that one remembers. The naughty chair and the flannel board with the cut out Bible characters are still vivid memories from that basement classroom space. So, back to that handkerchief: my mother would tie my Sunday School offering into the corner and tuck that hankie into my pint-sized purse so it wouldn't get lost. Mrs. Cranky-pants would help me to untie it so that I could put it into the offering basket when it was time. 
All those memories that stand apart in time and space, triggered by these two sweet and simple items. Years later, I remember my mother coming to me after receiving a telephone call and asking if I'd like to join the local Girl Scout troop in my hometown. The leader was none other than that same Sunday School teacher. I declined. And, many more years after that, when I was a young married woman, while visiting my parents we attended the annual Topsfield Fair at the local fairgrounds near my hometown; I was drawn to the quilts hanging on display and, may(!) have gotten too close to one. I was reprimanded, loudly, by the quiltmaker! Guess who that was? Yes, Mrs. Cranky-pants herself! She recognized me then and went on to talk about her memories of me when I was a little girl. She didn't mention the naughty chair and I, certainly, didn't bring it up! When I thanked my mother for the bag she asked me if I found the little "surprise" inside, I assured her that I did, and that I remembered. There was a LOT more than twenty five cents tied up in that handkerchief, Mom has absolutely no idea! 😉 

Life is Good!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this story.

Unknown said...

What a special gift from your Mom! It's amazing how little keepsakes can bring back so many memories.

If she truly disliked children, I wonder why "Mrs. Crankypants" volunteered at Sunday School and Scouts. Maybe she and her husband were unable to have children of their own? Perhaps her lack of parenting experience made it hard for her to deal with little ones. Or maybe her actions were a reflection of the way she herself was raised. Obviously, patience was not her strong suit! You were fortunate to have a kind and loving Mom, and have carried on that legacy with your own children and grandchildren.

Mama Spark said...

Nice to have those tangible memories!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous - what a great Monday morning brightener!

Ramona said...

What a wonderful memory. I think this is one of God's greatest gifts...happy memories. How nice that your mom gave you that gift with your tangible gift.

Dianna said...

You reminded me that I had the same memories from Sunday school! No naughty chair but offering tied in corner of hankie, the flannel board, the snacks that my aunt brought for our class!
Thank you for bringing that memory back to me!

Mary Etherington said...

I recognized that hanky immediately but since I’m older than you, my hanky only had a dime in it!

cityquilter grace said...

oh yes i remember the hanky with the tied offering in the corner too...delightful baby boomer memories...

Janet O. said...

Oh, what a wonderful walk down memory lane. I so enjoyed your stories, and couldn't believe the very proper Mrs. G ever had to sit on a naughty chair! LOL We all have a past, don't we? ;)
My Mom never tied money in a hanky for me--not for an offering at church or a phone call for a ride home from the Roller Rink when I took lessons there. Maybe it is an eastern states thing, and Mom grew up in California. Or maybe I just had a deprived childhood, because it sounds like a sweet memory.

Katy said...

Thank you for the wonderful story of our money in our handkerchiefs. I still like to take a handerkerchief to church each week. We had a little church bank that we put our money in each Sunday at the opening of Sunday School. I had forgotten about how my Mom would tie our coin in the corner. Remembering our upbringing is so special and so valuable to share with our young families today. Your Mom's gift has touched many of our hearts and minds this week.

Tanya said...

Ah memories. Too bad becoming a quilter didn't soften Mrs. Crankypants up!

Unknown said...

YES! I was just telling one of my grown kids about the coins in the corner of the handkerchief! My Sunday School teacher was also a MRS. CRANKYPANTS! Maybe we went to the same little church! (Youngstown, OHIO?). Loved your article!