05 May, 2022

Quilting Popcorn

We started a Women's Bible study a few weeks back on the subject of "Change". The word itself is one that strikes fear in me to my very core. 
Why am I afraid of change? Is it because it pushes me out of what's comfortable or because it is something over which I have little to no control? Or, is it both? This subject has been brought front and center and has been dominating my thoughts for days. Comfortable is easy; so, what's wrong with easy? 
Just thinking about all the changes swirling around me every day sent me retreating to what's known and familiar; comfort food for the soul. I loaded up this scrappy coins quilt and pulled out an old favorite panto: "Popcorn". Somehow this seemed just right! How do you deal with all of the inevitable "changes"?

My husband has a Vince Lomabardi quote for almost every situation. He pulled this one out of thin air the other day:

I recall a former Pastor telling us, years ago, that "change is growth and growth is life". We all know what the opposite of life is, which directly implies that failure to change, or accept change, signals death. Perhaps not physical death, but death nonetheless. This week's session took change and the acceptance of change to some uplifting scripture verses and the promise that God is always the same; yesterday, today and tomorrow, He never changes! There's the hope! There's the comfort! Yes, change is inevitable and we each participate in changes every. single. day. I was just talking with a friend a few days ago about all the changes that have occurred in this town where we live over the last four and a half decades. We reminisced about favorite, long-ago closed, fabric stores and restaurants and jobs that we used to have. I suddenly realized that these changes didn't strike fear in my heart; no, not at all. These were changes that happened gradually over time, some were even changes that we'd initiated ourselves. It's only in the looking back that we can see how these changes happened and impacted us. 
I suppose that's where the fear comes in; it's the fear of change happening, fear of the unknown, that heightens alarm. Yet, when change and/or fear is viewed through the lens of God's Holy Word we can clearly see that we're never alone to live in fear. From John 14:27~ "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  And so, fearlessly, I move forward into a ever changing world; and, some days, it just feels good and right to be quilting Popcorn!

Life is Good!

4 comments:

straythreads said...

Thought provoking thanks. Beautiful quilt and quilting

Janet O. said...

Beautiful essay on faith in the face of things beyond our knowledge and control. It is nice to have a creative outlet to turn to to soothe the soul.

cityquilter grace said...

it would be nice, tho, if sometimes the good things would stay the same...to be an oasis of familiar in the midst of all the other and sometimes unpleasant changes...

Tanya said...

I'm afraid that I'm not good with change and spontaneity. I can see myself pulling into a dark mood when I'm uncertain of what the next step is going to be. I realize that it is not very Biblical and that God wants us to step out BOLDLY in faith but I always grumble when he puts a new staircase in front of me...