08 July, 2022

Crystal Clear

About once I year I have no choice but to empty out the glass front cabinets, fill the kitchen sink with hot, soapy water and hand wash (and dry) all the crystal and glass until it sparkles brightly again. It takes me the better part of a day. Although it's tedious, I'm always delighted to be reacquainted with glassware that reminds of special people, times and places. 
For example: this decanter and drinking glass set was my grandmother's; it is at least one hundred years old. My mother remembers it from her childhood, sitting on a bedside table. It's in perfect condition, stands about eight inches tall, and brings a smile to my face whenever I see it, it's a true treasure. So it goes: shelf after shelf; wash, dry and put back in position.
Do you have occasional, mundane tasks at your house that you put off (and off and off...) until you can't stand it one more day? Plunging in has it's own reward; it's deeply satisfying afterwards to stand back and take in the gleaming sight of a job well done. Having it all out made me think we should have had a party to celebrate. But, then, there'd be all those glasses to wash up! 😉

Life is Good!

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have a glass front corner curio cabinet that houses the crystal and cut glass - the contents all need washing at least twice a year (mirrors line the interior). I don't enjoy doing it but I LOVE the results.

cityquilter grace said...

Dusting is always on the list....somehow gets done only sporadically....