17 January, 2023

Strings Attached

I've decided that for me, and my sewing room, this year will be the year of STRINGS! Back in the spring of 2019 I had my granddaughters help me to sort through all the strips and strings that I had stashed underneath the cutting table. We organized them into color groups. Sadly, that's as far as it got. Until yesterday!

I started with an idea and the low volume bin. I laid out the strings into manageable groups.
After stitching that group together, it measured approximately 24" in length. That was good enough- there's not a lot of planning going into this! The object of this is to empty this first bin and make room for something else, the next great thing. Waste not, want not. There are SEW many memories in these strings; long ago, otherwise forgotten, projects that I'm happy to recall, they warm my heart. 💗 I trimmed up the newly-constructed slab and cut two 5" strips, lengthwise, the called-for size based on what size blocks I'd already decided to build. 
Using the Studio 180 Diamond Rects tool I was able to get six diamonds for that many 5" x 10" sub-units. There was another lengthwise strip left over which will be saved for a strip-pieced border section. I'm going to try and use up every last bit of these strings. I have no idea how large this scrappy quilt will be. It will be determined by what's in the bin. The basic building unit will be the 20" pieced block shown at the top.  I grabbed the setting fabric for the side triangles off the shelf, this is meant to be stash reduction at its best! We'll see how this goes... sew on and sew forth.
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Kyle said...

Life is good and those string pieces are super fun. it makes me what to find my pile of strips!

Janet O. said...

I love where you are going with this, and hope that you actually see a reduction in the strings, though we both know how they multiply when you are not looking!!

cityquilter grace said...

this is spooky mrs g! (cue twilight zone theme)....i too have pulled out my strips bin and am working on a cover for sunny, the vintage singer that has come to live with me...we MUST make a dent!

Little Penpen said...

What a cute helper! Can’t wait to see what you make with all those strings.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Strings is a great theme!! and those blocks - I love the diamonds!!!
What fun to see the strings all divided by color!

Lcrrkhs said...

Nann will be proud.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love a good low volume string quilt - this one will be a beauty!

Tanya said...

Great way to use up strings! I've got a bin of those too. I guess I need to figure out how to use them with different shapes rather than just blocks or strips that I've normally done and which get rather boring.