09 May, 2023

Quiet Time

So, this is a post about Quiet Time. As you can tell from this photo, there's lots of resting and quiet time going on here. This was taken at my parents' home in New Hampshire last week. It was Augie's first road trip and he did extremely well in the car; you would have thought that he was a seasoned road-tripper! He rested nicely on his back seat platform and did what he was supposed to do outside whenever we stopped for breaks. What a great travel companion! It was Mom and Dad's first meeting with Augie and they were thoroughly charmed, of course.  Unfortunately, the day after we arrived, my mother went to the hospital. She was feeling bad and really couldn't express what was wrong. She was subsequently admitted through the E.D. and treated for an electrolyte imbalance; of particular concern was her depleted sodium level. She stayed there the entire duration of our visit and is now getting stronger again in a rehab facility with the goal to return back home. It was a roller-coaster week. 
Both Mom and Dad contracted COVID a couple of months ago. While Mom was hospitalized at that time, Dad recovered at home, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y. The truth is that it really and truly knocked the stuffing out of both of them! My Dad has given the term "Quiet Time" to that period after lunch when he rests his eyes for an hour or so. We all know better than to call it a nap!😉 I took this low volume quilt, just off the longarm, along with me to whip down the binding. I decided to name it "Quiet Time", that just seemed right. There was lots and lots of *QT* while we rested and waited. The quilt was finished up in no time.
Here's Dad and Augie one day after breakfast; they became great friends during our stay. 
               
We're home again now and Quiet Time has been washed and tumbled dry. I love the soft, crinkled effect. Talking to Mom on the phone yesterday, she sounded good and much stronger. Her biggest heartbreak now is not being at home last week for QT with Augie in her lap, she's sad about that. I told her that we'd just have to make a return trip, now that we know what a great little traveler he is! Please remember my Mom in your prayers for her recovery and restored strength. I expect that she'll stay in the rehab for another week and a half to two weeks, at least. Time will tell. 
Augie is seven months old now, has already been to eleven states and completed Beginner 1 Obedience classes yesterday. He'll start Beginner 2 Obedience next month; that's quite the resume for this pint sized pup! You're right if you're thinking that there's no QT for him!
Life is Good!

9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

On my prayer list....hoping she rallies quickly and home soon..

Ms. Jan said...

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for your beloved mother. My 91 year old MIL was hospitalized just after Christmas with a wonky type of pneumonia and sodium imbalance like your Mom. She recovered quite slowly, but is now doing much, much better. Very scary. I hope your Mom bounces back like ours did. xoxo

Janet O. said...

Will definitely keep your Mom in my prayers.
Hope she is able to come home soon and hold Augie for quiet time!
And that is the perfect name for that low volume quilt.

Roberta said...

Keeping you and your family in my prayers. Quiet Time sounds nice. I'm going to try it. I get busy and just don't take time to shut everything off a rest for even 15 minutes. I love the quilt

Quiltdivajulie said...

Rehab is probably just what she needs at this point - sending all good wishes her way for healing and recovery. And hooray for Augie being such a good traveler! I love the idea of QT after lunch - and the quilt of that name is just lovely.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

My 90 year old parents got Covid at Christmas and are just now feeling somewhat recovered. My Dad had to stop treatments for lymphoma due to the entire fight with Covid. I feel your pain and theirs'. This whole virus is such a detriment to the elderly and immune compromised. My Mom's sister gave it to them and my Dad still won't speak to her. My parents go nowhere but my aunt travels everywhere, even with her son who had Covid. A little, "I"m so sorry" would help but instead he got, "how do you know I gave it to you?" A cozy quilt, rest and some tea with honey...that's all that is required to help you mend. Thanks so much for sharing.

Buffy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry it has been such a hard time for your parents. I will definitely keep them in my prayers for healing and strength. I'm sure it was a great comfort to your Dad to have you three there while your Mom was in the hospital. And it sure looks like sweet Augie bonded quickly with him! Glad Augie is such a good traveler. And the quilt is lovely and calm!

Little Penpen said...

Prayers for your dear parents! I get my quiet time most everyday, too. Your pup is precious and seems to love his life with you. He’s a blessed little pup!

jude's page said...

Praying for your parents recovery. My 91 year old mother is also recovering. After all this time, I have also caught it and the fatigue that I am left with is worse than the actual covid symptoms. Love your quiet time quilt.