27 December, 2019

Post-Christmas Report

All of the super-secret stitching that went on around here before Christmas can finally be revealed. The family in the Capital City (3 out of 4 of them) wanted weighted blankets this year. In fact, Mason has been asking for one for MONTHS! He was very specific about what he wanted: snow camo (I didn't even know that this was a thing until I looked it up!), and he wanted his to be twin-sized (12 lbs.!!!😲). I suggested that this might be too big and heavy for him, but "no"; it's what he had his heart set on. In the meantime, Lucy Ann told me that she wanted a throw size (the term "throw" here is laughable, these are substantial items(!), even this smaller size weighs 6 lbs.)  "with hedgehogs". Our daughter seemed interested in receiving one too, I decided to make hers in the smaller size as well. I set to work from there researching weighted inserts. I found these, from Poly Fil.
Suffice it to say, they were a BIG hit! These inserts came with complete instructions for yardage requirements and easy-to-follow directions for making the covers. I backed them with coordinating solid-color fleece.

The above photos reflect their happy reactions to their gifts. We spent Christmas Eve day there and returned home for Christmas morning at our son and daughter-in-law's home. What fun and excitement there was there!
Gregory was quite enthused about a Cribbage board that Santa put in his Christmas stocking.
And Lynnleigh was thrilled with a violin set for her American Girl doll!
At the eleventh hour I decided that we needed something special for the cash gifts. Stockings were created; they doubled as ornaments for the tree after they were opened. Everyone seemed to enjoy them. If anyone is interested in this easy-peasy lined stocking/ornament let me know and I will send you the instructions and the diagram that I came up with; please make sure that your commenting profile is attached to an email address so that I can get it to you! The little stocking measures approx. 4.75" H X 4" across. 
I made a few "Gadget Cushions" to send to my friends for Christmas. Here's my prototype, above. These are handy for parking devices, they're filled with crushed walnut shells, giving them some heft and stability. They can also double as a pincushion if it's parked as a phone holder by the machine while sewing. (Ask me how I know!) They have a couple of loops attached to hold a stylus, pencil, seam ripper, or scissors. I believe I will be making up a few more for other rooms in the house. The patterns for these (link in text, above) are printed right onto the fusible interfacing that lines each cushion. That extra reinforcement helps to ensure that the crushed walnut shells won't migrate. Win-win! 

Santa brought a special surprise for Hannes. He absolutely loves curling up in his new bed! 
Here he is, enjoying it fully, settled in for a long winter's nap!
And, just like that, another Christmas has come and gone; it's a wrap!

Life is Good!

Up next: Looking Ahead

12 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

looks like santa was good to all...even hannes!

Debra G said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas! I’d love the directions for your stockings, I gave the grandchildren gift cards in Christmas cards. I like the idea of a little something handmade to hold the cards much better!

Dru said...

Thank you for offering your directions for the stocking ornaments. I'd love to have them. Happy New Year!

Elle said...

I would love your stocking tutorial. So cute and reusable!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Dru and Elle, I would love to send you a copy of the pattern but am afraid that I cannot without an email contact.

jude's page said...

well done with all your sewing for gifts, those stockings are pretty cute, and what a great idea.

Dru said...

I thought my gmail account would show up when I signed in. I just checked the box for email follow-up comments. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Dru, I sent an attachment to your email response, not sure if that worked or not. Please let me know.

Elita@Busy Needle Quilting said...

In an effort to not do the Eleventh Hour rush (as I so often do) I would like the stocking instructions too. Perhaps I'll actually get them made in the first quarter rather than the 4th next year! :D Looks like you had a lovely Christmas. Happy New Year to the Goodneedle Tribe! xx

Gloria said...

I think the stockings are a great idea and I would appreciate the pattern.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our younger son has a weighted blanket for his apartment (15 lb twin size) and a duplicate one here at our house for overnights/stressful situation recovery (extremely helpful for those on the autism spectrum as well as those who are not). You were definitely one of Santa's busy helpers - the smiles show it was worth the effort. Happy New Year!

hasiba said...

Thanks for sharing this post and visit my sitesSutures Removal at Home in Dubai,