15 February, 2011

Letting Off Steam

I use a steam generator iron while sewing. Saying that it's in constant use would not be an over-exaggeration. The reason that I love this kind of iron is three-fold:
1. The iron itself is lightweight and easy to handle
2. The tank holds a LOT of water and it doesn't need to be frequently refilled.
3. It steams really, really well; I like steam!
Under normal circumstances the steam should stay in the tank, under pressure; not leaking out as shown in the photo. The best thing about this type of iron is that it makes small work of even the toughest of ironing tasks. The worst thing is that I will flat-out burn one of these babies up after only a few years, they don't seem to be built for long term service. My husband changed out the rubber O-ring at the pressure valve but that just didn't repair the problem. My iron decided, on it's own, to become a vaporizer. I like it when an appliance, or any tool for that matter, will do double duty; but not this one, and not when I have pressing matters to accomplish! If I want a facial, or a humidifier, I'll take care of that myself. The iron has been replaced with a new one, one that keeps it's steam inside until I decide to let it out!
Life is Good!

11 comments:

Pat said...

I have a friend who has one of these and swears by it. I am also one of those people who likes a lot of steam.

Barb said...

I too like alot of steam but not a vaporizer..glad you got a new one.

Toni said...

*giggles* facial is much better laying down and someone doing it for you....I guess you just had to fire the iron, huh? :)

Shakerwood said...

I gave up on finding a good steam iron after they have ruined too many of my husband's shirts. We now have resorted to the good old spray bottle and a good hot DRY iron.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

my normal everyday iron ( gets used in quilting only) I can't turn off the steam, even though the button says the steam is off, if the iron has water in it, you are going to get a lot of steam. Sometimes I think the spray bottle would be a better option, or just go buy the 20 irons and when they break replace them.

Mary Lou Casada said...

I'm a steamy kinda gal myself, Mrs. G...but I don't have the industrial size, more's the pity! :-D Shame you had to replace it....think of all the draperies you could've cleaned! Ah well, with the progress you are making on UFO's the sooner you can get back to pressing the better!
Blessings!
Mary Lou

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love a lot of steam but I've not had much luck with Rowentas lasting very long. I hope your new one is long lived! blessings, marlene

Paula, the quilter said...

I go through coffeepots like some people do irons. Right now my coffeepot has decided it does not want to work on the programmable setting. I actually have to TURN IT ON MANUALLY!! I suppose I should get another one *sigh*.

Nane said...

Got any wallpaper that needs removing?

Carrie P. said...

Interesting iron. It looks expensive.

Gail said...

Hi Debbie,
I have a old Black and Decker iron that I bought at the outlet store (refurbished) about 20 years ago. It's been dropped on the floor (by my daughters), knocked on the floor by my rambunctious cat and still works and doesn't leak. It looks like hell but I can't seem to kill it or even wish it dead. LOL.

Gail :)