14 November, 2013

It's The Pits!

I got a bright and early start this morning, making boo-boo packs to keep in the freezer, small soothers for those bumps and scrapes that occur all too often to the knees and elbows of our littlest loved ones. Using upholstery sample swatches and those cherry pits* (could this be the ultimate recycling project?) mentioned last week, I had twelve made up before nine o'clock! These are small; they measure up at 3.5" X 4.5", finished, and are just the right size for little hands to hold. I constructed liners for each one, for durablitiy, using up scrap fabric from the stash closet. After the boo-boo packs were done I began on the heating pads. I made them 8" X 8" and filled the first one until it felt "just right". I weighed it on a kitchen scale; the remaining pads were weighed for consistency; I ended up with ten heating pads and two slightly larger (than the above mentioned size) boo-boo packs when the day was done. These larger ones I finished with a lapped closure on the back so that the pit bag can be removed and the cover washed. The heating pads can be warmed in the microwave (for a minute and a half) and will deliver a warm hug (and a delightful cherry aroma) as the cold winter days, and nights, set in. I used about two thirds of the pits today and plan to make a few larger heating pads to keep here at home. The scent of the cherry orchard lingers. Mmmmm...
It was a productive day, pits and all...
Life is Good!
*If you live in the Michigan area you might be able to find these 
cleaned cherry pits locally and save on shipping~ lucky you!


11 comments:

Carol said...

What a fantastic idea! Oh I bet they smell heavenly out of the microwave.

julieQ said...

Green idea! I love this one!

Rita@PinPrickedFingers.com said...

I never thought about using cherry pots!

KaHolly said...

Puts a whole new meaning to the term "Life is the pits"! What an ingenious idea. Where did you get so many cherry pits?

Carrie P. said...

oh, that sure does look yummy. I make a really good pot pie too. I went over to the blog and like how she made them in the jars. so cute.

Janet O. said...

I have never seen these made with cherry pits before. How fun to smell the cherries while benefitting from the moist heat. : )

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great projects!!

Paula, the quilter said...

I love my rice heating bags. I have started using flax seed as it conforms better than rice because of it's size. I don't heat the flax as long as I do the rice.

Laura said...

I've been wanting a new rice pack, but after reading this I think I want one with cherry pits instead!

LizA. said...

Mmmm, and I still have a freezer full of cherries.....now, if I'd only saved all those pits......

Unknown said...

Interesting. I do the same thing with rice. Never thought you could do it with cherry pits