04 December, 2018

Christmas Card Confusion

How did we get here already? Yes, this post is about Christmas cards; but, how did we get from Thanksgiving to Christmas at the speed of light? Over the weekend I rounded up all the turkeys and fall decorations to pack them away, once again. It seemed like the entire month of November passed in about a day and a half. Sigh. Anyway-- on the day before Thanksgiving we took our annual Christmas Card picture with the grandchildren, or attempted to. Putting a Thanksgiving feast for ten on the table is nothing compared to persuading begging (!) four children to change clothes and  all smile and look at the camera at the same time. This whole procedure took less than twenty minutes, total, but they really didn't want to stop playing long enough to capture a picture-perfect moment! Okay, moving on. I snapped, literally, hundreds of shots and found one; yes, only one, acceptable enough to use. It still wasn't quite what I had in mind; but, hey, it's what I had. I also had a sizeable discount coupon for an online made-to-order photo card company, one that I hadn't used before. I ordered our cards that evening, agonizing over the design and composition. I submitted my order in time to grab the discount and got an email almost immediately informing me that the cards were underway and that I would receive them in the mail no later than November 28. "Wow, what great service," I thought.
As promised, several days later a box arrived from the card company. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I opened the box and discovered these inside! "Oh, NO!", I croaked out (last week was one of profound silence around here as I was a victim of larygitis). Mr. Goodneedle was pressed into service, calling the card company and explaining that we had received cards that weren't ours.  The card company instructed us to dispose of the cards received by mistake and that our replacements, as well as the other couple's, would be on the way directly. I told Mr. Goodneedle that we simply could not throw Paul and Lauren's cards away, their address was inside the box; they needed them back! So, I addressed the box to them and we mailed it off. It's just the right thing to do.
Yesterday we received two boxes in the mail; you've probably already guessed what happened. Our correct card order plus a box from Lauren; our cards had somehow gone to them! She, too, couldn't throw ours away and mailed them to us. Now we both have double orders; but what a great story we both have. Plus, we have enough photo cards for bookmarks for the rest of our lives! Whenever I look at this Christmas photo I will smile-- for many reasons, and they're all good! 

I still don't know how we got to December so quickly though!

UPDATE!!
third box of cards arrived today! 😲

Life is Good!

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

Great story, Mrs. G.! I love that you and Lauren were like-minded and sent the cards to each other.
I just picked up my cards yesterday and spent last night working on addressing them, but I was falling asleep over them. So before I ruined them with scribbles, I toddled off to bed. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

:) how nice that you both took the time to mail the appropriate boxes to each other - their is still "nice" left in this world

Quilting Babcia said...

Love this story, the perfect illustration of lemons to lemonade!

Little Penpen said...

How cool is that??? There are still good people out there and you are one of them.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I can't believe how quickly the Christmas season is upon us. I just addressed our cards today and will post one on my blog tomorrow. I've still got so much sewing to do-making table runners for three neighbors and other friends-what was I thinking.
Have a good Wednesday!
Hugs,
Noreen

Anonymous said...

That story has such a happy ending.......I think....... :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

How funny (now that you have all THREE boxes in hand). Each of the grands can have a few to pass out to their friends plus all those bookmarks you mentioned and gift tags for future packages . . . (our cards arrived yesterday - I agree, December came in a rush this year).

Paula, the quilter said...

I'm so far behind on Christmas this year. I do have a cute hooded cowl with fox ears knitted for the grand-daughter finished. Nothing else is done, though.

Tanya said...

Wow! Where did the third box of cards come from? I guess you could have your blog friends send you stamps so that you could send them a Christmas card!