29 March, 2020

D.E.A.R. Time

Since we've created the new porch space to enjoy we've added a new element to our daily schedules. No matter what Mr. Goodneedle or I are doing at 4:00 PM  we Drop Everything And Read for an hour. We have really come to enjoy this custom over the past two weeks and we hold each other to it, if I'm busy in the sewing room and might even consider skipping a day he encourages me to leave what I'm doing and come sit down. This is escapism in its most basic form, it's been far too long that I have dedicated time exclusively for reading; and if we ever needed escapism- it's now!
These are my most recent additions. I've finished The Nightingale, am more than halfway through Keeping Faith and half yet to begin Then She Was Gone. If you've been frustrated by recent trips to the grocery store you might consider reading The Nightingale-- you'll rejoice at the abundance on the shelves today, even in light of the current state of the health crisis and an upside-down world. ๐Ÿ™ƒ Ann, over at straythreads, has posted a reading list to ponder if you are searching to titles to explore. What's new and different at your house during this stay at home time, how are you "escaping"?

Adapting today: I keep a can of Lysol handy and have taken to spraying and wiping down everything that comes in from the outside before I bring it in now.  We can't be too careful- wash your hands ๐Ÿงผ.

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." -Romans 15:4

Life is Good!
Up next: Creeping In









6 comments:

Ramona said...

I've ready two of your three books and really enjoyed them. One I've recently read and thought was so good is "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michele Richardson. Another good book is "Good Hope Road" by Lisa Wingate. How wonderful that you are make reading a priority for an hour each day. Enjoy!

straythreads said...

Years ago all the schools in the school district did D.E.A.R. and I was trying to remember the acronym and well senior moment lasting hours, days.....thanks for the memory! And the shout out to my blog.

Quiltdivajulie said...

We are using diluted bleach water to spray down all incoming packages and even wearing gloves in some situations. And I'm reading more, especially after dinner, as a way to stay off the internet and/or away from the news. I have the Book Woman book mentioned above in my queue. Just finished The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachael Hauck. I enjoyed it greatly.

Teresa said...

Love those reading chairs. I think its great to set aside at least one hour a day to read..I may have to start that too. Right now I am listening to America's First Daughter on Audible while I sew. Reading A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers. Both are good "reads".

Sherrill said...

I started reading last year and had been very good at it til this 'thing' hit!! I always go to Sonic every day to get a drink during 'happy hour'. Then I'd come straight home, sit down and read. Since the library shuttered, I've gotten e-books but it's not quite the same. Plus I've been really busy sewing masks so it's OK. I'll get back to it.

cityquilter grace said...

i'm reading as well....got a small stack before library closed but (sniff sniff) starting my last one tonite...i had sent my mom 5 and told her to send to me when she's done...not quite warm enough for outdoor reading here yet...