28 March, 2020

Fabric Shopping Frenzy

My fabric haul~ five 5 yd. pieces selected for quilt backs. 
I went on a fabric shopping spree last week; oh, what fun I had! I went by myself, but encountered many, many people already there when I arrived. The sheer number of other shoppers who beat me to the sale did get in my way. I had some items snatched right out of my shopping cart! Did I practice social distancing? You betcha-- my shopping spree was online! Where did I shop? At the Pineapple Warehouse Sale.


Sadly, this much anticipated event couldn't be held "live and in-person" this time and was taken online. A friend and I had been eagerly looking forward to attending and I'd had it on the calendar for weeks ahead of time. I just couldn't imagine how the online version of this sale would stack up to the real thing. I'll tell you this: I wasn't disappointed with my haul but it was a much more solitary experience, that much fun is always multiplied when shared as an experience with sewing buddies.  All things considered, I'm SEW happy that they went ahead with their spring event online; there were specials every few hours accompanied by fun activities on their Facebook page during the event, they did an excellent job rolling with the punches. Were you in "attendance" too?
I did miss the instant gratification of buying it and having it bundled and bagged on the spot to carry back home with me; but the anticipation of receiving the package, and finding my loot folded neatly inside, made up for it. I did have trouble logging on to the sale, in the beginning; there was tons of traffic, to be expected. Finally, when I got a clear connection, it went more smoothly. I did choose a few pieces that sailed into my virtual cart and, at checkout, had evaporated. That was disappointing. I shopped on, however, undaunted. I had money burning in my wallet that I hadn't spent at MidAtlantic Quilt Festival this year. All in all, when I shopped this online sale (from the clearance section) and applied the discount, I ended up purchasing twenty five yards of fabric for one hundred dollars. Yep, $4 a yard! You can't beat that! I did miss the "buy it by the pound" event and seeing old friends from my quilting past, but this quarantine won't last and there will be more "in real life" warehouse sales to come. 

Adapting to the current situation: this is something that has never happened to me before, a completely blank week in my personal planner. Those who know me are aware that I'm a scheduler. I have a monthly planner and move all my events, standing commitments and appointments into this weekly section on Sundays. Here's this week at a glance! 😲 I can hardly believe this myself. Right now, next week looks exactly the same as this week. I am filling my days: sewing, reading, cooking, cleaning house-- how are you occupying yourself these days? What will you remember, or have to show for it, when we come out on the other side of this quarantine? Stay safe and healthy; wash your hands! 

Life is Good!

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord
plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

Up next: D.E.A.R.

3 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

perhaps leftovers from closing keepsake store? anyway, great haul...and yes, my lovely downton abbey engagement calendar looks the same...sigh....

Quiltdivajulie said...

My calendar looks the same way -- but in many ways I'm loving the absence of outside activities. I'm sewing, taking care of long overdue half-day projects (re-labeling and cleaning up the random assortment of door keys for the house, cleaning the studio, putting away the aftermath of tax preparation), the three of us are playing board games, reading, talking at length about a variety of topics, cooking things that are not quick-fix meals (planned before the quarantine began), detailing the cars, etc. Our county recorded its first COVID death today as did the northern Mississippi county just to our south. Grateful for each and every healthy breath we take.

Tanya said...

Good for you for getting a great bargain! My schedule is much the same... It is actually a relief to know that I won't have to worry about catching and spreading to friends, students and acquaintances at least.