27 March, 2020

Sweet Sixteen

Sweet Sixteen ~ 65" X 80"
My guiding word for 2020 is "VISION"; the vision to see what's right in front of me-- namely, projects already begun and loads and loads of pre-cut pieces leftovers saved from other quilts (scraps!). Little did I know that the state of the current health pandemic would offer me nothing but time at home to realize that vision. This completed flimsy is off the design wall and created straight from the Scrap User bins. I've named it Sweet Sixteen in honor (and memory of) this year's now cancelled NCAA basketball tournament. The pattern is free, found here: Perfectly Scrappy 16-Patch.
In  light of our current state of the world it's uplifting to focus on some happy colors and have some control over something, even if it's only placing squares and triangles together in a pleasing way. I'm currently sewing together scrappy pieced "geese" and watching "Anne With An "E" on my tablet as I stitch.  I suppose these impromptu blocks might signify constant directional changes going on around me, I might just call this one "Which Way Now?". I do wish you all a PIECEFUL day today, what are you taking control of in your own sewing space?

Adapting to current changes today involves complying with a government issued STAY AT HOME order locally unless traveling to work at an essential business or to procure necessities. This order will take place beginning tomorrow and will be enforced until the 16th of April.  For us, this really doesn't look any different from the way Mr. G and I have been living the last two weeks anyway, but there's something scary and unsettling in contemplating how fast this has escalated. 

Stay safe, my friends; wash your hands🧼!

"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" -Psalm 31:24

Life is Good! 

Up next: Fabric Shopping Frenzy

7 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sweet Sixteen is a perfect name - and the bright colors make me happy. Your new project looks great. Have fun pieceing it!!

straythreads said...

Those are bright cheerful colors without looking juvenile. I haven’t been doin as much ch reading the last couple weeks because we’re watching Longmire on Netflix and hubby is not changing channels all evening. About a sheriff in Wyoming.
The top 3 stand alone books on my list......Secrets of a Charmed Life, everyone in book club loved it, The shell Seekers, from the 1980’s, and if you are a fan of the Wizard of Oz Finding Dorothy. Part of it takes place in Aberdeen South Dakota, I lived there in the 80’s.
I like your poster stay calm, stay cool, stay home
Stay safe
Ann

Janet O. said...

Sweet Sixteen is so beautiful. I have long wanted to make that pattern. Someday! :)
Our local university team was the first at large to qualify for the big dance--what a disappointment for those boys!
What is your opinion on Anne With An "E"? Haven't heard much about that program and I am curious.
This week I am sewing a few dresses for Lori's (Humble Quilts) postponed mission trip. I don't often join in on that venture. It has been a few years since I last made one and I am having to relearn all the tricks.
I like the eagle poster--and especially the scripture.

NanaNor's said...

Such a fun quilt! I have been staying in a lot for the last two weeks and on Monday we were given the official notice to Stay In. Hubby works at a golf course and you'd think they'd comply but no, so he has to go in every couple of days. All the men that work there are high risk seniors-ages late 60's-mid 70's. I was so disappointed in the owner!
I figure it will be months before we are able to get back to a more normal life; however, from what I've read I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone. I hear that it isn't spreading as fast for those who live in a humid climate like the South. We watch a lot of Hallmark movies in the evening, of the Jeanette Oke series. I'm trying to complete as many projects as I can in the quilt area. When it's nice, I do get outside to walk our Hunter.
Hugs and please stay safe.
Noreen

cityquilter grace said...

love your scrappy sewing! i made tablerunners with that pattern and it was called chiclets...for the little colored gum squares! it's a pretty quilt no matter the name...who could have predicted we would have soooo much sewing time? if it goes on too long, we could use up our stashes...or at least make a respectable dent....keep calm and sew on!

Tanya said...

Thank you for the link to your beautiful Sweet Sixteen. Sewing keeps us sane! And CALM stands for Celebrate God’s gifts, Ask Him for help, Leave concerns to the Lord of all , and Meditate on love and goodness.

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have been deliberately "at home" since March 13 with younger son here at our house from his apartment across town. We are now entering week two of the official "stay at home" level with confirmed cases in our county at 225 and the Memphis metro area over 300. Experts are expecting those numbers to rise dramatically in the next week or so and we're anticipating an even stronger stay at home order any day since so many will not comply with social distancing in public places . . . I am grateful we are able to stay home. Elder son works at a local hospital and must report daily - thankfully he is not a front line caregiver but still, the risks are greater than he'd like.