06 April, 2020

Friends and Family

So, the face mask making efforts have switched from donating to unknown facilities to shipping them off to friends and family, now that the CDC has suggested that everyone wear them in public settings. I've also switched patterns, added ties when elastic became impossible to find, and shifted the fabric choice for these to all batiks (at the suggestion of medical personnel) for the tighter thread count which adds an extra bit of filtration quality. I'll sew until I run through my stash of batiks. 
And sew it goes...

Adapting in an upside down🙃 world: I've gone back to the old habit that I cultivated many years ago after reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance book; I'm keeping a gratitude journal again. Each day I write down five things that I am grateful for. It certainly helps with keeping everything in proper perspective. Actually, now that I've begun I wonder why I ever stopped! 

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving." - Colossians 4:2

Life is Good!

Up next: Handwork

8 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

my cup runneth over with goodness, thankfulness, gratitude...and fabric...LOL

Teresa said...

Looks like we are using the same pattern for the masks. There are so many different patterns. I do like the elastic, but like you, I cant find any. Even tried amazon and they were out. Your pleats look so much nicer than mine - and they are uniform. Do you do the pleats before you sew the binding on? Do you have some way of measuring the pleats so they are all the same? I just kind of eyeball mine, but would love a way of getting them more connsistent. I start with a 9" x 7" fabric swatch.

Annette Dalrymple said...

Would you share your face mask pattern or the source to look up?

Thank you, Annette Dalrymple

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is the pattern that I used. It fits well if the top tie is ties high on the back of the head, at the crown. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=68ONNhvIrP8

rlebt said...

I really like using cut up T-shirts as ties, or even instead of elastic, it works wonderfully!

Lindah said...

Amen! Amen! Hallelujah!

Janet O. said...

This looks similar to the pattern I used for my first batch of masks. Like you, my first ones were donated, but now they are for family. And for the batch I made today I also switched to batiks, and lined them with T-shirt fabric--but I used elastic on mine this time around. I had a bundle of it and the 21 masks I made today took all but enough to maybe make one more child size mask.
If you run out of batiks, I'd be happy to send you some--but some of mine are quite wild and I didn't think my family would wear them. :)

Tanya said...

Good idea to use the batiks. I have thought of making masks for family but family is just too far away! I will have to think this through. Maybe one or two in an envelope with a letter? It's been years since I used the postal system for a letter!