22 April, 2020

Getting Myself Organized

While cleaning out a closet the other day (one of my daily habits currently-- closets, drawers, cabinets, nothing's off limits for a good purging) I came across eight UFO's that needed attention; well, truth be told, I came across more than eight but whittled the number down to eight (I chucked a few! Gasp!!) that I am either invested in enough, or love too much, to cull from the line-up. So, here are the lucky eight. With eight months remaining in the year come May 1, this is a no-brainer, one a month. But, how to decide which one comes first? I could do them numerically, as they're pictured; or, I could do a random draw and be surprised, or-- I could do what I've finally settled upon: what I'm referring to as the Dave Ramsey method. Anyone who listens to Dave on the radio knows that his claim to fame is helping to get folks out of debt and on the road to financial freedom. His method for paying off debt is to tackle the smallest debts first, creating a sense of empowerment for moving forward with the greater debts. Using that philosophy on my UFOs I have decided to tackle the ones that are the most completed first, finishing those should give a serious feeling of accomplishment which, ideally, will propel me onto the next and I can knock them out by the end of December. These will be in addition to what I'm already working on, so, wish me luck! I made a detailed listing of each project by number with how much is completed, percentage wise, what's in the box and what else needs to be done. That made the prioritization by my chosen method much simpler. I will begin with #3.
#3 is a child's quilt, the boy's version of the small alphabet embroideries competed a year ago from this book. I have all of the fabrics chosen for setting the little blocks into a log cabin. Stay tuned. 
Hold me accountable! 😬

 Today is Earth Day, from what I understand it's also the 50th anniversary of commemorating this occasion. In that vein, I'd like to share whats blooming and happening on the earth right outside the door here at Chez Goodneedle.
Flowers are blooming, birds are singing (and laying eggs!); we have three bluebird eggs in the nesting box and another family of Carolina Wrens nesting in a newly-created cavity located in a brick column slated for demolition on our patio. The demo on that will have to wait now until the babies fledge! Yes, despite the shut-down, the social distancing and the self-isolating life is, indeed, going on! Spring is full of hope and promise. Wash your hands🧼, stay safe and healthy, my friends!

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace  in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. -Romans 15:13

Life is Good!

Up next: Getting Out

5 comments:

straythreads said...

Sigh.........your lilacs are blooming! It will be weeks before they bloom here

AnnieO said...

Adorable UFO! I have been working on things closer to finish too, mostly the to be quilted pile that is terrible large--starting with the baby and small quilts is helping since I can do them in an evening on my home sewing machine. I'm planning to get another mailed off tomorrow. We don't encourage birds in our yard due to a lethal animal--our cat--but there are lots of birds in neighboring trees. Enjoy your stitching time and nature at your door.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I chucked a few things on my project list, too -- and combined several others into better plans. Apparently being able to stay home for extended periods allows our brains to work through challenges without so many interruptions - a good thing in the end. Good luck with your eight projects - one month at a time.

julieQ said...

That is actually a great way to tackle "quilt debt!" in my humble opinion...I like Dave Ramsey's methods. I too am purging. Those little blue eggs are just the prettiest...God makes beautiful things!

cityquilter grace said...

for completeness' sake...how many more after the 8? hmmm? i'll own up to 25 in all...lol...can you top that?