08 April, 2020

Planting

When the days run together in endless succession and the news isn't always good, there's something inherently therapeutic about digging in the dirt! This morning I made up a bunch of my own potting mix from a blend of garden soil, peat moss and vermiculite and set my sights on getting annuals potted up for the porches and patio. I felt so good to take control of outside beautification through hard, physical labor. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and I was tired and dirty when I was finished but oh, so satisfied! I didn't even get a shower until after lunch, in time to make a quick a dash to the Post Office. 
The demand by friends and family for face masks doesn't end. Every day this week I've either shipped off or delivered masks. The newest batch will be sent in tomorrow morning's mail. I have found that everything goes quicker with the process if I cut and prepare all the ties first, then I can sit and sew assembly-line style. I'm making a HUGE dent in my batik stash.

Adapting to life in an upside down ๐Ÿ™ƒ world: The little Post Office where I live has hung a clear, vinyl shower curtain across the service counter. One can see the postal clerks behind the curtain but they're completely protected from the public on the other side. Parcels are slid beneath the edge and the receipt and tracking number are returned the same way. I still wipe everything down with my Purel wipes, even my steering wheel when I get back inside the car, before I pull away. Stay safe and healthy, my friends. Wash your hands. ๐Ÿงผ 

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe."
-Proverbs 18:10

Life is Good! 
Up next: Surprise!

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, how I would love to play in the dirt for a while! You always have such a nice display of color. Looking forward to when you can share it with us.
I hear you on the masks. Every time I think I am finished making them, someone else asks if I could make a few for their family--or I think of someone with a compromised immune system that I feel compelled to ask if they would like any. Like you, I have been delivering or mailing them every day lately.
Our post office has put up metal framework with plexi sneeze guards. It is strange to see how many patrons lean around the guard to talk face-to-face without the completely clear guard between them. Go figure.
And I do the very same thing you do whenever I leave the post office or grocery store. I keep the wipes in my car and use one when I return to it--AND I take one with me into stores and use it to touch keypads when checking out, or any door handles that I have to touch. Paranoid? I just like to think I am wise. :)

Tanya said...

My husband has been enjoying his garden these past few days. He's being adventurous and going to try to grow green onions this year!

I guess I need to be better about sterilizing things. I still haven't got that habit instilled...

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gardening is indeed good for the soul -- we haven't gotten any annuals yet. Nearly 1,000 confirmed cases in our county with far too many people NOT following the social distancing/mask wearing guidelines.

jude's page said...

There are no wipes to be purchased in our supermarket, no hand sanitiser, hardly any soap, and no flour on the shelves, oh and of course no toilet paper.