09 April, 2020

Surprise!

This blossom just appeared, out of the blue, on my Christmas cactus in the dining room. Only one; bright and white. This occurrence almost made my heart stop. As we prepare for Easter, albeit so very differently this year, my mind has fast forwarded to Easter dinner. "We have to pick up a ham" I said to Mr. G.; "it's just us, though" he countered. Easter dinner has always been a BIG deal in our family. In fact, his mother made Easter weekend a BIG deal as far back as I can remember. When we were in high school, dating, one of the first times I ever visited his parent's home was on Saturday before Easter, I was invited to dye eggs and help to "get the table ready". It was at that time that I met Mr. Goodneedle's sister, brother, and his brother's wife and son for the first time. The Easter table was quite a production: the best china, crystal, linen and fresh flowers. Mom (as she became to me later) would always go to great lengths to find little Easter treats and keepsakes for each place setting. (I have boxes of them to this day, they're all special and precious.) As the years passed and our own children grew they always went to Grandma and Grandpa's on Easter Saturday to dye eggs and help to get the table ready, there was great excitement building for the next day. Depending on how many out of town family members might have been visiting sometimes two tables were set! These memories warm my heart and I'm certain they have the same effect on our grown children today. As the years passed and Mom couldn't put on the BIG deal Easter weekend event anymore it moved here. We were more than happy to host similar activities for the family, extended family and now for our own grandchildren. Until now. "It's just us, though," he said, or so it seems. No, we won't be hosting Easter dinner this year at a large table or two but, it's more than just us. This blossom, coming now, on a Christmas cactus inherited from my dear mother-in-law has bloomed; one single, white, bloom. Happy Easter, Mom! 🤍

Life is Good!

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

a true gift....with you in spirit...i share your past easter dinner memories....but this year it's just me...no matter...ham is off my list for good but gonna make something spectacular with chicken...

Debbie B said...

Happy Easter to you and yours. It won't be like before, but it's still a very special day.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a MARVELOUS post -- thank you for sharing it!

Tanya said...

We celebrated Easter service online... I missed singing with all the rest of the congregation!