11 April, 2020

Signed, Sealed and Delivered!

The year was 1970, it was a Saturday morning, I was a junior in high school. My mother answered the door to receive an Easter floral arrangement from her employer at the time. After she closed the door she called to me from the kitchen and asked me if I knew the boy delivering flowers for the local florist shop. I glanced out the living room window and saw him walking back down our walkway toward the driveway where the delivery van was parked. I did know him, he was in my Chemistry class. "He was so polite" my mother said, in the background. I intently watched the delivery boy back out of our driveway. He had the driver's door opened and he leaned out, looking backward, as he maneuvered out of our driveway. I was impressed at his driving ability. Hey, I was 16; at that time I didn't even have a driver's license yet, this skill made an impression.  When I saw him on Monday at school he spoke first: "I was at your house on Saturday." We lived in a very small town, I had already figured that he knew where I lived after the delivery. I still recall my response: "you're a very good backer." He smiled at the compliment and I remember thinking that was the stupidest remark I could have made, I was embarrassed and thought of so many other replies that would have been so much better, so much more clever, but those remained forever in my head as he walked away.
Fast forward to 2020. The back of our car is filled with Easter lilies ordered for our Easter worship service tomorrow. That service that won't occur. The lilies were ordered before restrictions on gathering, before we understood how widespread the virus would be, before the world turned upside down. 🙃 We left the order standing with the small, family-run greenhouse, they need the business. What to do with the lilies though? They would be delivered to doorsteps, that's what! Mr. Goodneedle took to the streets early yesterday morning, one by one, the Easter lilies were delivered to homes for online Easter worship tomorrow morning. Yes, you guessed it, fifty years later that cute delivery boy with the impressive driving skills is doing the very same thing. Apparently he wasn't appalled at what I thought was a stupid reply regarding his ability to drive in reverse, he was flattered. Some days I still watch him through the window when he's working outside and wonder how I ever got so lucky. He has been a constant blessing in my life. It wasn't until years later that my mother told me that he had inquired of her, when he handed off the flowers, if I lived at that address too. She knew that he knew me, and that's what prompted her to ask me if I knew him as he was leaving. Five short years later I married that boy; I've never looked back.

It was true love-- signed sealed and delivered!
Life is Good!
 

9 comments:

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Such a sweet story. I married the boy I spotted the first day of my first college history class talking to friend of mine. It turned out that we had grown up knowing many of the same people but had never met because he attended and all boys school and I was in an all girls school. We have been married now for 52 years and he is my constant blessing even when we are quarantined together!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This is lovely. I feel the same way about the guy I met at church camp. We are so fortunate!

Margie said...

Aaaah! Sweet. Love a happy story.

cityquilter grace said...

wow great story about mr. g....i'd say you got something way better than a chocolate bunny that year...blessings to you all...

Lindah said...

Aw, what a sweet story to brighten our day. Thank you for sharing it. Love to hear enduring love stories.
Easter bessings on you all!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love this story so much -- I met DH when we were both scheduled to volunteer in the coat check in the auditorium on our college campus. We both knew that there was something between us - didn't take long at all until we were a couple - and we married the week after I graduated (he was a year ahead of me). Coming up on 45 years since that wedding day.

jude's page said...

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

Debbie B said...

What a lovely story. Great memories of days gone by and how they still ring true today. Happy Easter to you and yours!

Tanya said...

Great story! I didn't realize that you've known your husband so long! ( I didn't meet mine until I was 22!)