14 May, 2020

Binding and Baking

"Sweet Sixteen" is off the rails, binding has been applied and the hand finishing has begun. I'm quilting up a few table runners right now, one day has a way of sliding into the next. The quilts are piling up. Mr. Goodneedle asked me last evening who this quilt was for. I have no designation in mind, I just keep at it, one quilt after another; and sew it goes. One would think that these scrappies would make a noticeable dent in the bin of precut squares; so far, I can't tell a difference! The bins seem as full as they've always been.
Sweet Sixteen uses 2.5" squares, the pattern can be found here
Two loaves of cinnamon swirl bread fresh out of the oven. These will be great for French Toast.

Remember these Quilter's Quarantine signs that we all had back in the 90's? Here's mine, they're not as funny today as they were back then; not since we've all learned what mandatory lockdown is like. Isn't it ironic though that the "treatment" listed on this is to attend as many quilt shows and shops as possible? It will be some time before we can know those types of cures, I look forward to those days!

Adapting in an upside-down 🙃world: I've been stitching up quite a few face masks using the  Valami pattern, click on the hyperlink to download the free pattern.  Once I got started it became easier, assembly-line style. It took awhile to gather all the necessary supplies but I'm good to go now, I've got the copper nose wires cut and at the ready.
I'm only using batiks, lining with cotton knit and using T-shirts ties. I have a nurse friend who took this style for a test run and pronounced the fit as a very good one, "the nose piece makes all the difference", she reported. Who would've ever guessed, months ago, that we'd be raiding our stashes to make face masks for health-care workers and personal protection? Stay safe, wash your hands🧼!

"Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all day long."  Psalm 25:5

Life is Good!

6 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I've been busy in my small garden, making masks and trying to sew more blocks for a Delectable Mountains quilt. I retired 2 weeks before the lock down and spent my birthday in lock down. What a life, huh? It looks like you are getting the hang of the bread making.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You need to take a break from the mask making to make yourself a bread baking apron . . . bet there's something in the stash that would be "just right" . . . I can smell the cinnamon from here.

cityquilter grace said...

know what you mean about the stash....eventually some decrease has to show one would think....and looks like bread baking a success!

straythreads said...

Beautiful quilt so bright and cheerful. The bread looks delicious .
Have a great weekend

Janet O. said...

Sweet Sixteen is such a great looking scrap quilt.
I used to make cinnamon swirl bread every month or two, and my family loved it for French toast, too. I miss that stuff!
Very nice masks! If I thought I could make one more, I might try it. :)

Carolyn said...

I have been making masks and decided to try the Valami mask. I like the fit, it took more time than the others I made, however, I like how they are more tailored. My husband, the preacher, is scheduled to have church service on Sunday at church and asked me to make masks in case someone came without one. We are a small church of older folks, he broadcasts his services on the internet.