12 May, 2020

If, At First...

... you don't succeed; you know the rest. May was my month to finish one of eight selected UFO's for 2020. 
I chose this one, I had all of the fabrics already pre-selected, the colors were perfect! Onward and upward; this was a no-brainer... or was it?  I framed the first four blocks and was less than impressed with the results. There was too much going on in those framing block strips, it interfered with the visual focus of the embroidered centers. 🙁
So, back to the drawing board-- or, in this case, to the stash closet; to look for pieces that wouldn't compete.
Pulling these together and scrapping the original plan wasn't too difficult.
By mid-morning today I had removed the previously applied strips and come up with this plan, it looked much better and more appropriate, in my own mind. I needed corner setting blocks too. 
I quickly sewed up some strip-pieced corner blocks; but, again, was unhappy with the results.
Those strip pieced blocks looked too heavy to me. I came up with the idea of a square in a square, this looked just right to me. Framing it up, scrappy style, like the embroidered blocks, provided visual continuity. I'll change up the color of the corner squares in each of the four corners. Those strip-pieced blcoks will go in the "orphan block" bin. That orphan quilt, whenever it appears, will be something! The bottom line here, for what it's worth, is don't be afraid to scrap your original idea and try, try again! You've heard it before, and it really is okay; don't look back, just do it!

Adapting in an upside-down🙃 world: Just when it seems that one day slides into another, and another, and another-- something, all of a sudden, changes! I received a text today in regard to scheduling an appointed time to shop at my LQS! Really? Isn't this what celebrities and really fancy people do? Nonetheless, I have an appointment for my shopping trip, this is new-- I'm working on my list right now, and it's been growing all day; I'm fancy like that!  Stay safe, wash your hands~ 🧼

'Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand,
and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.' - Romans 5:2

Life is Good!

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

a personal appointment? how chi-chi of you! i like the change in frame and the other changes....just right as goldilocks would say!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good decisions on the framing and corner blocks - it's going to be lovely!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

What you've done with your blocks is perfect. That being said, I still love the collection of rejected strips! Oh, and I believe I also have that embroidery book. When/if I ever get finished The Aunts, that would make a good evening handwork project.

Janet O. said...

You have come up with a great plan (but I still really like the string pieced block).
An appointment for shopping? Cool! One local quilt shop never closed, and the other closed its doors, but had staff inside and offered curbside puck-up. They have just reopened with limited hours and some restrictions. But I'd like an appointment to shop. :)

straythreads said...

There is a reason why some projects take so long......we learn something in between. It’s going to be beautiful. Personal shopping experience how fun!

Tanya said...

Oh yes! That second set of colors and fabric just sing with those embroidery blocks!