19 May, 2020

Decisions, Decisions...

It won't come as any surprise to you reading this that Mr. Goodneedle and I are huge DIY'ers. If there's a way to do it ourselves, we'll check it out and much more likely than not, we'll go for it. There's a need to replace the sling backs/seats in out formerly outdoor (now porch) dining set. The current fabric on there has seen way too much weather over the past ten years or so, it had always been out in the elements until now. I found an online rehab company for this purpose and ordered some samples, they arrived last week. The hardest part for us is making decisions; I don't know why. We could see the pros and cons of each sample and went back and forth.

I was looking for something to blend with the cushioned furniture in the same space, ultimately, we chose this one and we're NOT looking back. 😉
Once replaced, these new chair slings will appear lighter, brighter, and hopefully will work to coordinate the entire space; that's our thinking. The whole truth, however, is that we're not replacing them only for aesthetic reasons. 
No, we're replacing them for safety reasons! 😲 Wish us luck, we've never tried this before.
I received the most glorious Mother's Day bouquet from my daughter in the Capital City, I forgot to share this photo earlier.
Equally pretty: fresh, local farm-picked strawberries are still abundant and incredibly sweet and delicious!
We're not the only one faced with decisions these days. We've begun eating dinner every evening on the screened porch. Hannes hangs out there with us for a short while and then, he gets up and sits in the doorway; he can't decide where he wants to be! I've brought his bed out so that he'll be comfortable but he barely even touches down in it before he's up, pacing, and ends up cak in the doorway, staring at us! Changes are hard, especially as we get older, I just know that he's thinking: "Mom, Dad- we never did this before, why don't you come inside and eat in the kitchen the way we always did before?!?"


Adapting in an upside-down🙃 world: Following along with the decision-making theme today, it's not easy for any of us to know what's right and what isn't as far as getting back out in the world, there's no manual for this, it's uncharted territory. The "new normal" for you might look completely different than it looks for me, there are simply too many variables depending on where you live, your age, your health and so on. Today I am going to the dentist to have stitches removed from my mouth that have been in place since the oral surgery that I had on March 12! Up until now I haven't felt comfortable submitting to this simple, 5-minute, procedure. Faith has to triumph over fear, and today I'm ready! I have faith in the dentist's office and all of their practices and procedures to keep me safe, it will be a relief to have these removed; they've seemingly grown disproportionately larger each and every day, lurking back in the recesses of my mouth! I will be supremely cautious, staying safe and vigilant about germs and surfaces; that's my new normal. I cannot, nor will I, become a prisoner to fear! And so, I've decided what's right for me, given all of the information that I have. Let's all keep each other in mind too, everyone is on their own sliding-scale for comfort. That's perfectly okay, we can't decide what's right for anyone other than ourselves; but, we can decide to be kind and understanding to each other, we're all walking this path together, figuring it out for ourselves one step at a time! 
How can you cultivate peace 
and put your own faith ahead of fear?

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep,
that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope."  -1 Thessalonians 4:13

Life is Good!

9 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh first - good luck at the dentist ( I avoid them in normal times ha ha) But the DIY - that is awesome!! and yay for dinner on the porch. Those strawberries look amazing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You will feel SO much better with those stitches out -- my dentist appointment was last week but they called to reschedule me to AUGUST since they were just getting ready to open after the restrictions on them were lifted and they needed a few more days to finish making the necessary changes in their office. I was grateful for their consideration and caution.

Lilac Joan said...

I love your quote (or saying, or what you may call it.) I wrote it in my diary so I can remember it.

Lindah said...

Your photography is so beautiful! And your counsel so wise. I appreciate both. Except to drop my DH off for minor surgery, I have not yet been out. Not because of fear, more likely due to stubbornness. At 80+, I figure why risk it, if not necessary. Because of his essential business, DH has been out each day to the PO and bank, so I give him a pharmacy/grocery list once a week or so. He is careful. Neither of us wants to aide and abet the spread of this disease.

On pleasanter subjects, reupholstering those chairs is an ambitious, but doable, project. With what the 2 of you have done with that beautiful new porch, I'm sure you can handle the chairs.

I want to say, re: yesterday's post: What a gorgeous portrait of your son's family. Love it!

Blessings on the calling of a pastor. Hopefully we, too, will be able to issue a call soon, and all across the land, the Church will be able to gather once again.

jude's page said...

LOvely post, all the best with the DIY makeover. Well said, your last paragraph, I understand exactly how you feel, as I have an appointment in the city in 2 weeks, and wondering if I am ready to head up the highway again, after 3 months of staying home.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely flowers and berries...i got some too! and isn't it wonderful to have time for all these fix-it jobs?

Sherrill said...

I'm not in for a 'new' normal, I'm going to head for the normal I've always known. After this fiasco started and things began opening, I've said it's better now because places are being super safe and clean. I had told a friend of mine that last month, flying would've been fantastic as so few were flying and extra extra cleaning was going on. That porch is absolutely gorgeous--so admiring of Mr. Goodneedle's many abilities!!

Janet O. said...

I hope all goes well with repairing the chairs. I wouldn't know where to start with such a project. You two are amazing.
The strawberries look delicious.
Our dentist just started sending our reminder cards for upcoming appointments, so I guess they are back open. My neighbor works for a dentist and she says they take everyone's temp before they even come in the door, and if you have any fever at all you can't come in. If you don't have a fever you are given a squirt of hand sanitizer and allowed in the door.

Tanya said...

Your porch is beautiful and the new furniture canvas will make it comfortable and bright!

I'm sure your trip to the dentist will go fine. I think of any doctor, a dentist is the one who must constantly keep his rooms and areas germ free.