20 May, 2020

My Home State

I loaded this panel onto Snowbird last week to do some bead board, straight-line, quilting. I decided to use the panel as is, it measures 19" X 44" and is perfect, without being bordered, as a table runner for our kitchen table. I had it quilted up in no time.
One of the very best tips that I've ever heard is one that I learned from quiltdivajulie. She makes her bindings before she's quilted her pieces so that they're ready to go when the quilt is trimmed and needs finishing. For me, this is a psychological trick-- it takes no less time to have it made and ready ahead of time, but it is such a efficient way to work. My mind doesn't want to stop and make binding after quilting and trimming; but, I have no trouble loading a quilt, preparing the binding, and then setting about the quilting. When the trimming is finished, the binding is applied right then and there; this is helpful to me and seems like the most productive way to work.
Speaking of efficiency-- actually, I quilted two at the same time. The New Hampshire panel is a gift for my mother. Shhhh-- don't breathe a word if you're reading this and know her, she'll be surprised!
This was done and on the table by last evening. These panels, My Home State, are by Northcott. Mine was a gift from Quiltkeemosabe, check at your LQS for the state of your choice.
Mr. G and I play Cribbage every day, if you're familiar with the game you'll understand the smile on his face-- he had four 5's dealt to him and a Queen turned; this hand is worth 28 points! He had trouble not laughing as we played out the hand, he knew that this experience is very rare and lucky!

Life is Good!

6 comments:

Dee W said...

I always enjoy your posts, Hannes, the grandkids, the quilting, so many things that tug at my heart and my life. And then you play Cribbage! I am totally envious! I played with the grandparents when I was a kid, they played everyday also. Grandpa bought large print, braille cards so they could still play when my grandma started losing her eyesight. Thanks for a great read.

Quiltdivajulie said...

So glad that my binding method is one you appreciate (am I surprised?). There have been a few instances when I've changed my mind, but then that's why I also have a stash of bindings ready to go when the right project appears (bonus). Love the panel as a table runner.

Gloria said...

I can understand the smile on Mr. G's face...I had to count to make his points to make sure I was missing any points. When my husband and I play, he often asks if he can have my missing points!! We are playing two handed Hand and Foot along with 4 other couples and report weekly...our own tournament and the ladies are losing....

Gloria said...

Should read "not missing any points."

Tanya said...

Love your home state blocks! I'm going to go look at more of them!

May I add to Quiltdivajulie's advice that one should also make a label for the quilt way before the end is in sight. How do I know this? Because I hate making labels and way too many of my quilts are unlabeled because when I get them all quilted and bound I think "I'll make a label later... I've got the info on my blog anyway." and then the quilt never gets labeled!

cityquilter grace said...

those state runners are so darn cute! i knew how to cribbage eons ago but have forgotten...and now no one to play with so it's ok to drop that skill..