31 August, 2020

Monthly D.E.A.R. Report and Something Sweet

Here's my August reading list, these were all good; actually, D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read) time has become one of our favorite hours of each day! I especially enjoyed the historical fiction works: A Well Behaved Woman, The Giver of Stars and The Union Quilters, as that's become my latest favorite genre but the other was a great read too. The Giver of Stars was most interesting to me because it is the second book in two months that I've read on the pack-horse library initiative of the WPA under President Roosevelt to supply rural patrons in the hills of Kentucky with books and reading materials during the 1930's. I've been giving our own local library a vigorous workout, using the library-to-go feature: ordering my books online and then picking them up in a "holding room" outside of the library proper. It works well, I put the title on hold for my local branch and when it comes in I receive an email. I'm super grateful to my daughter to turning me onto this service. The money that I'm saving on buying books can be directed toward fabric purchases; a  definite win-win!
When Lucy Ann was here the week before we made a fabulous, no-bake, freezer dessert: Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. This particular recipe is a new twist on an old-stand by and really is a keeper!
It might just be that repeating chocolate pudding/crushed Oreo layer that puts this one over the top, 
I'm not sure, but I highly recommend this as an easy to prepare and delicious summertime dessert. 

You're welcome!
Life is Good!

7 comments:

julieQ said...

Where the crawdads sing is one of my favorites!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I enjoyed The Giver of Stars as well. DH listened to Where the Crawdads Sing as an Audible book - he liked it. Dessert here is mostly DH's. home made cookies (multiple varieties) - and since younger son has been on a weight loss campaign since arriving in March (down 45 pounds to date), we are veering away from fun things like the one you showed (sigh). Sure looks yummy though.

Sherrill said...

I LOVED Where the Crawdads Sing!! Such a great book. Also enjoyed The Giver of Stars. Our library has had a service where you place a hold on the books you want and when they come in, you just go to the library, grab them off the hold shelf (they have your name on them) and go to the self checkout. I'm in and out (with mask on) in a matter of a couple of minutes. I guess I have my own version of D.E.A.R. as I make a daily trip to Sonic for 'happy hour' and come home and read with my drink in hand.

NanaNor's said...

Hello and Happy September! Love your book reviews- especially one of Jennifer’s books. I e got all of hers and met her years ago. Your dessert sound wonderful.
Hope you have a great week.
Hugs,
Noreen

jude's page said...

THe titles of those books look interesting. I should go and check out our library and your DEAR time is a great idea. That dessert looks yummy too.

Annette Dalrymple said...

Always enjoy finding a new post from you! I'm now in the last few pages of Mrs. Lincoln's Sisters by Jennifer C. and just before this book read Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by her. Then I'll go on the four books you've just finished. I, too, enjoy historical fiction. And that dessert will be a must try in the near future.

Janet O. said...

I also love historical fiction, and I haven't read any of these. Thanks for the recommendations.
Oh, that cake looks dangerously good. :)