26 October, 2020

Another One Joins The Ranks

Move over, quiltmakers, it's time to make room for one more; Lucy Ann has finished her first quilt and she loved the process! This photo was taken just after that very last hand stitch was put into the binding, (admittedly her "least favorite part" 😉) her smile says it all! You might remember that she tie-dyed the backing  (and her T-shirt) back in September. We'd been waiting for another overnight stay to get it quilted up and bound. This past weekend provided just the right amount of time to get that accomplished.
I had the quilt sandwich loaded onto the longarm when she arrived and she took to the quilting process like a duck to water. She  did an excellent job of following the pantograph; she approached this step fearlessly and told me that this was the most fun part of all.

Off the rails and time for trimming. Is this one happy, proud, quilter or what?


The binding was attached before bedtime. 
As soon as breakfast was finished the next morning she set to work getting that binding whipped down.
And, just like that, by early afternoon; another quiltmaker has joined the ranks! She wants to know now what we're going to do next.  I couldn't be any more pleased.  She called after she returned home and reported that she was going to sleep under her newly-finished quilt  on Saturday night. 

Sweet dreams, Lucy Ann!
Life is Good!

12 comments:

Charleen said...

Congratulations to both Lucy Ann and her grandmother!! It is beautiful and what a wonderful shared experience!!

Christie said...

Fantastic!!! What a cute quilt and quilter! Last weekend, my 10 year old granddaughter and I finished up her first quilt! She too, is proud of her first quilt, as she should be. I am so thrilled that I am passing down my love of quilting to another generation. HUGS.. and stitches

julieQ said...

I am so glad for her, and you too! Good job, teaching the next quilters! Such a pretty quilt, too!

cityquilter grace said...

i see many years of fabric ahead for this new quilter....hurrah for keeping quilting alive...

Debbie B said...

She did a great job! And, yes, I think she is hooked! Yeah!!!

Sherrill said...

It turned out so cute! She looks very serious in that first pic at the longarm but methinks she has a very loving, caring teacher helping her every step of the way. Glad she had you to encourage her in her endeavor.

Paula, the quilter said...

How wonderful! She looks so pleased and happy.

Janet O. said...

This is so fun! She does look very happy with her finish--and she should. It is wonderful. I have to say that she is already faster at binding than I will ever be!

Marie said...

So proud of her and all she did. I loved doing that with my granddaughter too. How are you doing? Do you still do smocking? I have thought of that so often! Take care my friend. Many hugs, Marie

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely wonderful in every single way possible - congratulations to both of you!

straythreads said...

Wow beautifully done

Tanya said...

You've made another quilter and probably a future quilt teacher too! So wonderful!