24 October, 2020

On Being Efficient...

Each and every day I endeavor to be efficient. I live to make the best use of my time! So, a few weeks ago I volunteered to bring food for Fellowship Time between Sunday School and Worship for tomorrow. I knew what I wanted to make and planned out my times to make them. A batch of Jack O' Lantern Jumble, mini pumpkin muffins and homemade cinnamon rolls. I decided that I'd make a batch of the snack mix mid-week as a treat for Mr. G (and for Lucy Ann who was coming to spend the night on Friday). I had an extremely busy day on Wednesday (three scheduled medical procedures: bone density scan, mammogram and vascular ultrasound, all strategically scheduled to maximize efficiency, of course!) and I decided to make that first batch on Thursday when we were at home having the wood-stove insert installed in our fireplace. (This was more of an energy efficient move on our part, but efficient nonetheless!) So, I gathered all the ingredients on the countertop (I've made this for years on end!) and got ready to make up the Jack O' Lantern Jumble-- could I find my recipe? No! I am organized; my physical, printed, recipes are relegated to folders placed alphabetically: "appetizers, beverages, breads/coffee cakes, breakfast foods, cookies/brownies, desserts"... you get the picture. I was on a wild goose chase searching for the recipe and, all the while, wasting time! Grrrrrr. Let me tell you, these occurrences get the best of me! Finally, I found the recipe, folded and tucked behind another (???) in "appetizers". Why there? Who knows?!! I need a "snack" file.
I clipped this from the old Country Threads "Goat Gazette" newsletter some 20 years ago*. Needless to say, as soon as I found it I made up a batch for the countertop in preparation for a second batch today. 
The woodstove insert installation went much more efficiently. It's just been too warm to try it out yet. 

So, early this morning I got up to make the dough for the cinnamon rolls. Again, my tried and true recipe eluded me. I was completely defeated. Mr. G. asked me what I was searching for. When I told him he swiftly dove into my recipe files and handed me exactly what I was looking for! When I asked him where he found it he responded "breads/coffee cakes". "Oh", I responded, "I'd forgotten it was in a page protector".  That's true, I did. I'd already been through that file twice. 🙄 Okay, so being efficient and being effective are two completely different things. I might just need to rework my system! Let me tell you a second thing: the kitchen smelled heavenly while those cinnamon rolls baked this morning!

*Interestingly: Country Threads posted this recipe on their "Chicken Scratch" blog this past week!

Life is Good!

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

oooh cinnamon rolls sound good...and might just make some jumble too!

Janet O. said...

As I read this post I thought, "See, it doesn't just happen to you." :)
The jumble sounds delicious. I picked the wrong time of year to try and lose weight!
I can imagine the cinnamon roll aroma in your home--heavenly! I really miss making those, but gluten free yeast breads just aren't the same.

julieQ said...

I try to be efficient, too, but the scraps beckon! LOL! Lovely rolls...reminds me of my momma, she made some amazing cinnamon rolls, too! Enjoy your jumble!

Mama Spark said...

LOVE cinnamon rolls!! I’m glad you found your recipes too!

Debbie B said...

Sounds like several of my days lately. Either things are not in the place I thought they were or I just plum didn't see it in my search. I just got the ingredients for the JOL Jumble. I saw it on Country Threads site this week and thought I needed to make that. I'm looking forward to making it. Your rolls sounds yummy. I may have to try those too. Enjoy!!!

Tanya said...

Yum! That looks so good! But more munchies we don't need... I already eat too much!