09 October, 2020

Where Did The Week Go?

We had loads of fun at our granddaughter's outdoor, socially-distanced birthday party last Saturday. She and her friends decoupaged paper mache pumpkins, ate treats and tie-dyed T-shirts! I can't believe that's already been almost a week ago. Time has FLOWN by this week! 


So, where did the rest of this past week go?
This pretty much sums up the week. I'm doing ruler work on a Metro Rings quilt. it's time consuming. but very, very satisfying. It's a BIG quilt, too. I've wanted a longarm work table for some time now, a sliding one that sits on top of the rails and will hold tools (rulers in this case, and a container for thread snippets) above the quilt's surface when doing custom work. I've had my eye on one, but it's expensive. (I've dropped hints to my resident handy-man who one time told me that wouldn't be a hard thing to make!??) In the meantime I am using a sheet of foam core. 
This does the job for now, is lightweight and easy to move, and was FREE (I had it in the closet already!).
And, since man can't live by quilting alone I've been baking buttermilk bread in the bread machine (several loaves a week). This is a great recipe that I am linking here. If you want to make yours in the bread machine like I do, substitute one pre-measured packet of yeast for the TBSP as listed and set your loaf size to 1 lb. 
Since I've been spending so much time in the sewing room I've been watching movies while I quilt; heart-warming, old-fashioned love stories on the Hallmark channel, it's my latest obsession and pure escapism when I need it the most. I've switched off the news and am avoiding social media platforms as much as possible because of the politics and personal agendas. These movies were all good. So is D.E.A.R*. time, I force myself to sit down and read for an hour late in the afternoon every day- this month it's mystery books.
Have you heard about the Stich Pink sewalong? I'm collecting Moda's blocks-of-the-day for October following the "Stitch Pink" initiative. You can subscribe here if you want to keep up this month. 
Here's the final layout, right now I am downloading the block instructions each day and keeping them in a notebook for later. I'm not going to make a pink quilt; but, rather, will do mine in Christmas colors.
It's been a while since I've commented on adapting to the state of our upside down 🙃 world right now. This picture might say it all: yes, it's October and, yes, this one Iris decided that now's the time to bloom. It's not the craziest thing going on this year, not by a longshot. Stay safe, my friends. 

Life is Good!

* Drop Everything And Read

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Christmas colors sounds like fun for this quilt. I am using my own hand dyed fabrics in assorted colors and black for the background.
Its the first time I have ever done a follow along block a day type and I am not sure I care for it.... I get a block done and then look at the fabric laying out and have to wait. Downloading it all and then starting seems like a great idea but every time I have tried that I get side tracked and for get to download or where I "saved" it to

Janet O. said...

Such fun ideas for the birthday party--it is good that the weather cooperated.
Sometimes the "make do" solutions to our dreams end up being good enough.
My SIL records her favorite Hallmark movies and shares them with me. I haven't had one from her in quite a while, but have rewatched some old ones now and then while stitching. I can use some escapism!!
I've been getting the emails for the Stitch Pink blocks, and passing on them, as there is no time right now and pink doesn't call to me--hadn't thought of Christmas colors. Great notion!
I grow many iris, and I have never had one bloom in the fall. Maybe it is aware that we need a little extra dash of beauty about now!

cityquilter grace said...

LOL...the iris is confused??? join the club!! i agree, somehow the weeks fly by even without social events...

Quiltdivajulie said...

Perhaps in the end the foam core board is the simplest and most elegant solution with virtually NO storage space required when not in use!

Tanya said...

The tie-dye projects look like fun!

I'm interested in your ruler work... I've seen those rulers (pricey) and have thought about purchasing one but wonder if it can be used with my domestic machine quilting. And with all the choices, which one do I really want to buy? Of course if I could have a long-arm maybe my problem would cease... or increase tenfold!