10 October, 2020

Genesis 1:20

"And God said, "let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures"..."

In preparation for a youth Sunday School lesson on Creation tomorrow I was reminded of this wallhanging done back in 2006. This was my assigned Bible verse on which to create a piece for a mixed media art show at church at that time. This piece was auctioned off, my sweet mother-in-law bought it, and it hung over her desk in the kitchen for many years. It came back to me after her death and it's been hanging in the closet here ever since. I'll take it to class tomorrow for a visual aid. I tried out all sorts of techniques in the creation of this one!
Sometimes it's fun to look back on our work. Using improvisational piecing for the background, I fused cut-out fish from different printed fabrics to that, tacked some free-form cut "seaweed" and covered it all over with tulle to secure the looser elements before quilting it with wavy swirls and, finally, added glass bead bubbles over the surface. If memory serves I had a rough plan but changed, modified and embellished this as I went along, flying by the seat of my pants. We're going to talk about that in Sunday School tomorrow- creating. Certainly God had a plan for His Creation; we might think that we do too, rough or otherwise in whatever we create. My name might be on the back of this wallhanging but who is the true Creator here? What this lesson points out to me is that as God's divine creation, I can only share and do what He's designed me for. I'm never in control of the plan. Someone once said that "man makes plans, God laughs". What peace there is in the faith to know who's really in charge of the grand plan! 

Life is Good!

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

lovely piece and so evocative of the verse...

Ramona said...

Amen! This is a great piece for your Bible verse. How nice that you can share it in person with your Sunday school class. We are only able to have services outside, but not today. It's raining! Happy Sunday. :)

Teresa said...

So cute, and I bet the kids loved it in Sunday School. Did anyone spot "Dorie" from Finding Nemo?

Tanya said...

Just beautiful!