09 January, 2021

A-MAZE-ing!

Last weekend, to usher in the New Year, I had a heavy date with my Accuquilt die cutter. Slowly and surely I worked my way through all of the scraps from 2020 that had accumulated in the bottom clear up to the top of my basket! By Saturday evening this was a most welcome sight: 
Each and every scrap had been cut into the largest, usable, pieces and the bins had been generously fed!

As of today I have this scrappy quilt top together. The pattern is Mazed by Kristi Daum. She has other scrap-friendly patterns at this (linked) site too. Mine has been modified, size-wise, by the amount of the white background that I happened to have lurking in the stash; this will finish up at 54" X 66" which will be a generous lap-sized quilt. It is ear-marked as the first donation quilt for this year. I barely made a dent in my over-filled 2.5" squares bin!
Here's the bin after using 396 squares out of it to create the "Mazed" top, at this rate I can make many more with little (to no) fear of running low anytime soon. 
This was a fun activity: Lynnleigh spent lots of time arranging (and rearranging) the blocks on the floor to create her own custom labyrinths. I believe that she is old enough this summer to begin piecing blocks by herself on the machine; this might be a good one for her to start with. 
There's really no rhyme or reason the layout, each block can be twisted and turned as you go. I pieced the entire top by webbing it together (top left photo). I have good luck with that method and the seam allowances, when pressed alternately, mesh together nicely for a smooth finish row to row. So, what's your first top of the new year? I've got something on the quilt frame now, too. Stay tuned for that "ta-da" finish. 

Life is Good!  

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

"seams" like many are diving into scraps these covid days...this is a real scrappy winner...and empty basket? lucky gal! i'm working on my 2.5" strip shoebox and already noticed a decline....scraps are good indeed!

AnnieO said...

Love it! I have a ton of 2.5” squares too. How cute is your scrap-loving assistant:) I have a lot of finished tops that need quilting, but it hasn’t stopped me from pulling fat quarters for a new baby quilt.

Janet O. said...

Wow, I am impressed with the empty basket--and the quilt top! Wonderful!
Can't wait to see what the new little piecer will do when she gets her chance.
I have a top on my design wall that just needs borders--they are mostly pieced, but I always stall at attaching them. It is a Pam Buda pattern--Settler's Puzzle--and I started it in 2014.

Ramona said...

What a fun scrappy quilt! And to have an empty scrap basket is heavenly. It's wonderful that your grands like working with you in your quilt studio. Time spent in there is so precious for you and for them.

Tanya said...

What a great use for the scraps that never find their ways into other quilts!