31 July, 2021

Creating Chrismons and Other Summer Pursuits

This post might sound like that first day of school essay assignment: "How I Spent My Summer Vacation"! Thanks for indulging me. The last few months have been spent exploring a new (to me) creative endeavor. I've posted about this a few times already. Making Chrismons has been a way to stretch my thinking (reading the directions has revealed an entirely different language; which, to my amazement, I'm  beginning to understand!) and, at times, push my patience to the limits. Here's the collection so far. The latest attempt was the Resurrection Cross. Each one takes approximately 1- 3 hours, I've been setting aside afternoons here and there as time allows. 
As you can see, not all efforts are positive on the first try. That cross needed to be completely destroyed and redone. I was exasperated but dogged in my determination to get it right. 
I'm still not sure if this is to-the-letter-correct, but it suits me and I'm content with calling it done. 
It will look great on the tree at church. 
Since spare hours have been spent with wire and beads I've not had as much time to read as I would like. Mr. Goodneedle and I took a short road trip last week; I managed to get three quilts bound and this book read while we were gone. This novel was compelling but brutal in nature; discomforting in the same vein as The Nightingale. If  you're looking for a light and easy book with a happy ending this isn't it. I've got books piled up and hope to get back to that highly coveted D.E.A.R* time that I enjoy, we'll see what August brings. 
Our son and his family recently traveled to New England and spent time with my Mom and Dad. 💗
The older grandchildren in the Capital City recently concluded the long course State Championship swim meet with stellar performances in their respective age groups. Our oldest, Mason, just turned thirteen years old last week! This week they're glued to the TV and the Olympics, cheering on team USA!
While we were traveling I found this fabric at a quilt shop along the way. I fell in love with it. After we returned home I became obsessed with finding more. Every search came up empty. As so often happens, when one launches onto a mission, I couldn't stop; finally I was able to locate five yards and am having it shipped. Don't ask. 😉  
I know that this might not appear appetizing; but, let me assure you that this ham salad is all that and more. Actually, it has magical powers: it can transport you in time and place! My mother used to make this when I was a little girl, when it was too hot to cook. She had a hand-crank food grinder and would grind together equal parts cooked ham and Spam. She'd toss a green pepper into the grinder too and then mix enough mayonnaise into the bowl to hold the entire concoction together. We'd sit out on the screened in porch and eat this in sandwiches or on crackers for lunch. Last week I had it open-faced, on toast; I was that kid sitting out on the porch, all over again

How are YOU spending your summer vacation?

Life is Good!
* D.E.A.R. = Drop Everything And Read

7 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I loved this post. How can Mason be THAT old already (wrote the woman whose oldest grandson just signed up for AP History in the 10th grade)! And LucyAnn is tall and lovely. The photo of your parents with the other two is a treasure. And MY mother had that same crank thing for ham salad, except she put in pickles (sweet ones usually) instead of green pepper. A blob of that on toast is still a comfort food for me!

cityquilter grace said...

i was a ham salad kid as well...and very occasionally still! lovely chrismons...obviously a challenge but oh the result! those grands have shot up in such a short time....how can it be??? and 5 yards? just enough i'd say....LOL

Deborah said...

It is amazing how certain foods can take us back to our childhood. Cinnamon rolls do it for me; my mom made them every Saturday.

Sherrill said...

That's great that your grands visited your folks. I know you parents really enjoyed that! I think those Chrismons would give me convulsions and fits. But I think yours are stunning. That book was the hardest book I've ever read. Truly opened my eyes re: the Depression!!

Susan said...

My mom made ham salad (and cinnamon rolls), too. When my parents built their house, they had the lip of one counter extended so that the. grinder could be attached easily. Helping with the grinding was one chore I never minded. Thanks for sharing your memory!

rondiquilts said...

Beautiful family. How can the grands be that old? My Mother always made egg salad. That's what I've been eating this summer. I love it with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Enjoy what is left of summer.
Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

Tanya said...

I tried beading with filament and making 3D figures but it was far too complicated for my brain and my eyes couldn't see any of it at all! I guess I'll stick to quilting and tatting... Even embroidery is becoming a challenge!