12 September, 2021

Sacred Stitches

When you're a part of a small, mission congregation, everyone is called upon, at one time or another, to use their own abilities for the good of God's church. It truly does take a village! Only recently has our church decided that, in addition to Sunday morning worship, we'll be adding a Wednesday evening Vespers service, to include Holy Communion. This is a great thing! However, with limited resources the demand is still high to provide everything necessary for Holy Communion; this includes altar linens, which are laundered each week. Since we only have a very limited supply, naturally this will require increased inventory of needed items. I checked the church supply catalog and found the purificators (used as illustrated:)                                        
to be a bit cost prohibitive. I have white linen, and embroidery software, and the ability to stitch. I set to work. The best tutorial that I've found for mitering with inside, turned hems finished by hand was here.
The perfect, turned-under edges were easy and accurate with the use of Clover's Hot Ruler.
I can't rave enough over this tool (or any Clover notion, for that matter!); for me, this is a much used item in my ruler drawer, one that doesn't gather dust. 
Following the tutorial linked above will have you on your way to perfect, pointy, inside miters in no time! I sat and watched some Netflix while finishing the handwork on these. This is the backside ☝
And this is what shows on the front-side (before a trip to the ironing board and a thorough steaming). In some found snatches of time this week I was able to create two new complete sets of communion linens. There's no time like the present time 😌! Hopefully, these will fill a gap for a much-needed item at church. 
You may not need to create purificators, but, this is a great skill to add to your repertoire! How about a hand-crafted set of napkins, tea towels or a tablecloth to give as a gift? You'll love the results if you follow along with the steps outlined here by Celebrate Creativity, it's easier than you may think; I promise! 

I entitled this post "Sacred Stitches", I suppose because of the creation of items used for a sacrament. But, if the truth were known, I almost feel like time spent sewing and creating, for whatever purpose, is sacred time to me; if not sacred, then it is certainly blessed! If I don't get it in some stitching time of some sort, every day, I can feel as though my soul isn't quite fed; do you feel the same way? 
Life is Good!

5 comments:

Ramona said...

What a beautiful gift to your church family... and to you. I agree... taking time to create feeds my soul.

stitchinpenny said...

A few years ago I looked at making some linens for the church and found that there were symbols for the linens that were turned into embroidery machine motifs. They were free but in my quick look tonight I couldn't find them. They may still be out there if you want to search for them.

cityquilter grace said...

beautiful linens...i feel as tho my sewing gift is from God so i share your sentiment

Carolyn said...

Only those of us "sewists" (I'm not sure when we lost sewer) understand the piece we get from sitting at our machines and creating. I have been collecting my project for a retreat this weekend and I just want to sew.

Tanya said...

You do such beautiful work.