30 October, 2021

Return To Handwork

Like so many other quilters, this year has seen me returning to the soothing rhythm of handwork, specifically cross stitch. I never saw this coming, in all seriousness. Quiltkeemosabe gave me a small "kit" for Christmas and invited me to join her down the rabbit hole. With a bit of trepidation, (did I have time for ONE MORE THING?) and simply to be polite, I accepted her invitation and  stepped, cautiously, down into the abyss. There was no turning back, the rest is history! What's new to me this time around is stitching over two, on linen. I love it! This piece is actually done from four of Lori Holt's stitch cards (set F) with called-for DMC colors. 
Mr. Goodneedle added a double hanging rod for my thread drops into the newly-cleaned-out and appropriated cross stitch cabinet; it's the perfect addition as I strive to become more organized. 
So far, so good. A place for everything and room to expand if necessary 
(who knows how long this X-stitch bug will last!?!!). 🤣
Although the return to cross stitch was as easy as falling down a hole; finishing up my little projects is something else entirely, there's so much to learn! I finished this small antique sampler into a little pillow with a self-piped edge. It’s filled with crushed walnut shells and could be a pincushion or simply decorative, as shown. I've seen these itty-bitties called "bowl fillers" but I'm unsure what else to throw into the bowl! As one thing leads to another, I'm currently  in the process of learning (via YouTube) some alternate finishing techniques for the edges; the Halloween piece (top) is next in line for some sort of cute edge embellishment; but, it won't make a completed appearance until next year. This is all a work in progress; and, I'm thoroughly enjoying this unexpected diversion, every step stitch along the way! 

Life is Good!

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

oh yes i have been in that rabbit hole...LOL...i just wanted to use up some small pieces of aida and pow! i was downloading lots of little things to stitch...i have done the stitching over two but in my stitchery dotage sticking with aida...and no smaller than 14 either...it is very relaxing and comforting...and just like that, more aida is on my christmas list...LOL!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good for you!!

Janet O. said...

Oh, I have resisted jumping down that rabbit hole, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. Your cute finishes aren't aiding my resistance any. ;)
Of course, you are organized! And it looks so good!

Sewing Sue said...

Oh my, did I not just fall back down that same hole!! I put aside the quilting for a bit and took up cross stitch again, which now competes with my knitting for evening couch-time. Ah well, at least you are organized!!

Tanya said...

What a great idea for organizing embroidery floss!