08 October, 2021

What I've Been Missing...

Like so many other quilters, I, too, was counting myself as one who'd recently returned to the world of counted cross stitch. (If you follow the blogs you know, cross stitch converts are everywhere!) I didn't go back all that willingly, if the truth were to be told; but, rather, hesitantly. I truly wasn't sure if I wanted to commit time to to hand embroidery all over again. Last Christmas Quiltkeemosabe made me up a little "kit" and introduced me to stitching on linen, over "two"; this was new to me and I had fun stitching up two sampler-style minis. I thoroughly enjoyed that! Hmmm, I thought, why did I ever abandon something that I derived so much pleasure from years ago? I purchased a few charts, bought all the called-for threads and dug out some old supplies. I was back in business, or so I thought. I struggled. A few stitches were placed, here and there, but it was much too easy to pack up and walk away from. Then, Quilkeemosabe and I began talking about thread drops. This concept was new to me. They were so cute, and colorful, and "dangly"; maybe that's what I need, I thought. She brought a nifty winding stick to show me, one more thing that I thought I required (floss is wrapped and cut for placement in the drops, making all the lengths uniform and even more attractive!); I became re-nenergized on the spot. 
I ordered tags and bought a hole punch to create my own "drops".
Mr. Goodneedle made me my very own winding stick, using Quiltkeemosabe's as a model. I was now out of excuses. I had the linen, all my flosses for the next project wrapped, organized and looking pretty but I still lacked the enthusiasm to stitch more than a few minutes before abandoning a now, more appealing (or so I thought), seasonal project. I wondered what was wrong with me. Was I truly returning to cross stitch or simply going through the motions? Around this time my glasses broke, they were pronounced unrepairable by my eye doctor. Luckily, I had an eye exam already scheduled anyway, and now, after that mishap, I'd be ordering new glasses. Well, as luck would have it, (if breaking my glasses could have been fortuitous) my prescription had changed; the timing was absolutely perfect! My doctor told me that the new glasses might take some getting used to because the prescription change wasn't a minor one. I picked up my new glasses on Monday. Oh! My!! Goodness!!!
This has happened since then, and I'm completely in love with stitching all over again! What was the problem? It wasn't that I was unorganized or working on an out of season project that didn't thrill me, I was struggling because I couldn't see clearly and didn't even know that I'd been missing! This had happened so gradually over time that I didn't even realize the difference! I've been marveling all week!

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone (current forecast not withstanding)
I can see all obstacles in my way...
it's going to be a bright sunshiny day!"

Life is Good!

9 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I’ve gotten a new prescription also, but I haven’t ordered new glasses yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Welcome back to world of cross stitch. Just this week I received a thread winder and am looking forward to winding threads, floss drops and football for the weekend

Janet O. said...

When I gave up cross-stitch decades ago, it was after attempting to stitch over two threads on linen. I just couldn't get the hang of it. I still have two sampler patterns and all of the threads that I saved when I gave away the boxes of patterns and magazines I had collected. I have always intended to one day complete those samplers. Maybe it is time I had an eye exam!! LOL
BTW, your hubby always does such wonderful things with wood--and did you know there is also a punch for punching your own tags. Just saying... :)

cityquilter grace said...

there is something so relaxing about the cross-stitch....i love linen but stick to 14 aida...anything else is just too small for me...your project looks intriguing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

We both have eye appointments set for the first week in November - both of us anticipate changes in our prescriptions, mine more than DH's. Glasses really do matter!!

Pati said...

I also went back to cross stitching after many years away from it while I was quilting. I have to wear a pair of +3.0 cheaters over my glasses in order to properly see those little holes!!!!

Sewing Sue said...

I love cross stitching too, and have returned to it after a short hiatus. AND the new bifocals are a big help in my house! If you want to see who's stitching what, do a search for FLosstube videos on YouTube. There are a million of them to see and from which to get inspiration. I like Brenda and the Serial Starter, Colorado Stitcher, and a few others. Have fun with it!

JustGail said...

I'm glad you figured out why you gave up cross stitch, and have picked it up again - it's always good to have a 2nd hobby. When I find myself looking at the photos in magazines and not reading the text, I know it's time to get the eyes checked. A good assortment of readers and magnifiers (yes even with the bifocals!) and light helps immensely also. I've seen where people punch a 2nd smaller hole in their drops, so they can easily find partial lengths of floss for those little isolated bits of stitching.

Tanya said...

I love the tags you made and the winding tool is wonderful! I have so much embroidery floss that is not getting used. I'm afraid if I get back into embroidery the fabrics I have for patchwork will multiply on their own!