07 October, 2021

Quilt In A Day?

I’d like an opportunity to set the record straight: “a quilt in a day” is a complete and total myth! Mr. Goodneedle and I have been watching old episodes of Chicago Med in the evenings on Netflix. There was a recent episode where a Chicago police officer died in the hospital and her organs were kept alive for transplant. Supposedly all of the action took place within one day. At the conclusion of this episode, the head emergency room nurse arranged for all available police officers to line the halls, as the officer's badge number was retired and a personalized (with machine embroidered blocks) quilt was presented to the officer's waiting husband. It was an emotional and touching scene- unless you're a quilter! "Impossible", I shouted, "this misrepresents quiltmakers everywhere!" Yes, a quilt gift such as this one is most appropriate and meaningful; but, no, it can't be done (cut out, pieced, embroidered, quilted and finished) all in one day! They may have teams for medical fact checking but they could’ve use a quiltmaker too. Just sayin’. 😉

Life is Good!
* Update: In response to the comments below I want to make sure that I'm not misunderstood. My point with this post was simply to make clear that the personalized quilt shown in the episode (not apparent in the photo above) to which I'm referring could not have been made in a single day. I'm fully aware that this is a fictional television show, I just hoped to validate all of my fellow quilters. Certainly, I'm aware that simple quilts can be made in a day and that quilt closets filled with completed quilts are always available for presenting quilts on occasions such as these; I have such a closet here at my own home. When I mentioned quilters being misrepresented I say that only to exonerate all of us who've been asked on the spur of the moment, by a well meaning non-quilter, if we could make a quilt for their sister's -brother-in-law's- aunt's birthday on Friday; (one of specific design, color and measurements) and we've then had to look them in the eye and say, sadly, "no". There's no greater gift than a quilt gift, I believe that with all my heart and quilters are among the most generous people that I know, but we're not miracle workers; even the most skilled, well-stocked professionals have their limits, time being one of the greatest of them. Thanks for reading. 

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

i volunteer! lol....

Elle said...

I've done many quilts in a single day. Not complex but fun ones. Square in a square lap size, Irish Chain 60*84 (just did one Monday), and several others. I do have a LA and I know that helps.

Dotti in CT said...

Perhaps a quilter was also a nurse and had a quilt just waiting for recipient. My niece makes quilts that are specific for police/state trooper fatalities. Sad but it. Is realistic.My husband always tells me when I “edit” shows that I don’t all the background. It was nice that a quilt was shared.

Hope you enjoy the next episode.

Dotti in CT

Janet O. said...

I remember my sister-in-law loaned me a Hallmark movie she thought I might like because they had a group of women make a quilt. They were all gathered around a coffee table, cutting with scissors, and stitching with one regular sewing machine (if I am remembering details correctly--it has been 3 or 4 years). At the end of the evening they had a finished (quilted and bound) quilt. Not likely! Like you, I wondered why they couldn't have had a quilter help them make a more realistic scenario for the completion of a quilt.

celia ambrose said...

I think quiltmakers may have finished quilts that can be ready to give with a personal message or significant to the family added before gifting. Pat Sloan and Bonnie Hunter have lots of quilts that would work in gifting for family or first responders, or social services or for those who have been affected by disasters.