24 December, 2021

December Discoveries

'tis the season! It's been a busy few weeks around here; ones full of happy days, and lots of busy times and delightful  holiday related discoveries. I'll start with this struggling Christmas cactus. This plant belonged to my mother-in-law. It wasn't in the best shape when I brought it here to live after cleaning out her home over four years ago. I haven't done a thing to it, except for weekly waterings. It needs to be repotted and given some life-boosting nutrients, for sure. And yet, here it comes, once again reminding me that it will bloom, albeit sparsely... despite the neglect. This was a lovely discovery and a dear reminder of a precious member of our family, one who lives on in our hearts always, but especially at Christmastime.
This was a sweet discovery; the best of two things: peppermint and chocolate. If you missed these this season, look for them next year. From what I understand they're only available at Target and they sell out fast! You're welcome. 
I don't burn many scented candles in the house anymore; something that I used to do a LOT, but now have switched, almost exclusively, to essential oil diffusers. With the exception of this candle. It's a new scent, "Merry Berry", from the Holiday Countdown Collection. I have burned this in the kitchen every day during December, it's a delicious discovery that imparts a rich, berry-filled aroma throughout the house reminiscent of baking a mixed berry pie. It's all the more special between the Christmas quilt-patterned plate and shade that was a long-ago gift from my mother. 
A most surprising discovery, at least for me, this Christmas is the undeniable fact that as much as things change, they really do stay the same.  I was cross-stitching ornaments for the tree all those decades ago and here I am today, finishing up a new batch, all over again, this year. I never expected to pick up cross stitch once more, I'd left those fabrics and charts behind and moved on, or so I thought! Thanks to Quiltkeemosabe, and her encouragement, I was directed toward new fabrics, techniques (stitching over two on even weave linen) and patterns. The styles and finishing techniques may have changed but my enthusiasm for the pastime hasn't waned a bit, much to my astonishment and delight. 
A glorious discovery this year is this pure white Christmas rose. I found it, at of all places, at Trader Joe's. I absolutely love Hellebores, and have a few varieties of Lenten roses, which thrive in my perennial garden. I look forward to transplanting this outside there after the blooms fade. A dear friend had alerted me, many years ago, to this variety but I had forgotten all about it until I saw these for sale outside the grocery store, on the sidewalk, last week. 
In closing, one more; this- a truly unexpected discovery! When visiting my parents this fall I picked up this photograph off the floor where it was peeking out from the skirt around the bottom of the sofa. I had never seen it before and my mother had no idea how it had landed there. This is me, Christmas 1956, I was three years old. The photograph was taken at the Community Store in my hometown. (My eyes went directly to that thread cabinet over Santa's right shoulder! 😉) This vignette is quintessentially New England with the Hood Dairy box stationed on the floor- I immediately recognized that as one that would have contained Hoodsie cups, those delicious vanilla and chocolate combined ice cream cups eaten from a flat, wooden spoon attached to the bottom on the package. 
I wish you all the happiest of Christmases, one teeming with discoveries both great and small, ones that are lovely, sweet, delicious, surprising, glorious and unexpected; and, above all, I wish you peace!

Life is Good!

6 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

That Christmas Cactus is such a lovely color. Mine are all pink and I wonder if it has something to do with my water? Back in the 1970s I also did some cross stitch and framed them in small embroidery hoops. I used to hang them in the bathroom, but I think I'll repurpose them to ornaments. I've resisted picking up cross stitch again; it has actually been easy since I know my eyesight isn't good enough to do it.

Merry Christmas!

Lindah said...

PEACE and JOY to you and your delightful family. May Christmas reign in your hearts all the coming year long.

Indeed, God is Good!

Rebecca in AK said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Such a sweet picture of you.

julieQ said...

Merry, Merry Christmas!!

cityquilter grace said...

hope yours was wonderful as was mine...ahh lovely memories...i too have returned to cross-stitch and received more aida cloth for christmas, so more projects to come! yes, good old hoodsie cups...and i was in a store the other day and actually saw marshmallow fluff from one of my previous home towns, lynn massachusetts! hoping to see more posts and projects to come...

Tanya said...

Great memories! I love that candle holder plate and shade!