13 December, 2021

Moving into Advent

It's been almost a month since I posted anything here. I've received a few inquiries regarding my health and an email asking if I was experiencing a fun vacation somewhere. Nope; I can't claim either as an excuse for my absence from this blog, I'm healthy and present, simply busy- it's all good! In fact, I've thought about posting for weeks; but, by the time I got around to sitting down to do that, the moment has passed and whatever I had intended to post about already seemed like old news. So, here I am, catching up (as this news is old) by launching into Advent and the realization of a Chrismon tree in the sanctuary of our new (to us) church! Having a Chrismon tree became a dream shortly after we moved into our very own church building back in April of this year. Beginning in May, several members, plus myself, traveled to Rufty's in Salisbury, NC to learn all that we could about making Chrismons. I was bitten by the Chrismon-making bug and, along with a like-minded friend, made several more return trips for classes and supplies. I couldn't seem to stop, I was committed to obsessed by the process. If I couldn't figure one out I would work it and rework it until I was satisfied (even reasonably so) with the result. There are "levels" of proficiency attached to each kit; and yet, I forged ahead fearlessly. It would have benefitted my peace of mind to pay more attention to the levels; but, hey, the brain wants what the eyes see!  As our total number of completed Chrismons grew collectively, we crossed our fingers and hoped that we'd have enough to somewhat cover the branches of a small tree. As sort of a last-minute "push" to make more, a multi-generational workshop was held here, around the dining room table, in November; the group made simple Latin Crosses. 
It was a very successful day!
One thing that we knew we wanted to do was make Resurrection Butterfly Chrismons in loving memory of those church members who've entered the Church Triumphant over the years. 
On the first Sunday of Advent the long-imagined Chrismon tree appeared in the sanctuary at Grace Lutheran Church, dedicated in loving memory to those who rest eternally with our Lord and Savior. Each one is memorialized with their own Resurrection Butterfly, placed in the branches in their name.
Thanks be to God!

 The final Chrismon that I made this year is the one pictured up at the top, on the left, it's the "Advent Cross in Circle"; completed shortly before the tree was erected in the sanctuary at the end of last month. It may be the final one this year, but it's not my last by any stretch of the imagination; there's still so many beautiful Christian symbols to discover and create! I eagerly look forward to what's up for next year.

Life is Good!

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

aaahh breathtakingly beautiful...well done to you and your fellow bead-ers...

Ramona said...

What a beautiful Chrismon tree! The ornaments just glow. How wonderful that you had a multi generational work force to finish them this year. I look forward to seeing what you create for it in the year to come.

Unknown said...

Glad you discovered Rufty's Chrismon Shop in Salisbury. This year the mother of Rufty's passed away, Mrs. Barbara Rufty. Her pound cake hospitality for the Chrismon classess will endure for a long, long time. Melanie, her daughter, is an amazing designer and the instructors have the patience of Job! Congratulations on being smitten by this art and the crafting of these stories of who and whose we are as Christians and Children of God. Rufty's is featured in this month's "Our State" Magazine. Congratulations Chrismon makers and Grace Lutheran Church! Advent Blessings to all!!

Mary Etherington said...

When I first saw the word Chrismon, I thought it was a misspelling. Finally I went online and discovered the real meaning and it’s beautiful! Our very large tree is filled with homemade ornaments the kids have made in Sunday School, etc. Meaningful to us but doesn’t hold a candle to your gorgeous tree! I just don’t need anything else to interest me so I’m not going to look up how to make these! Thanks, Deb!

Carolyn said...

We have our tree at church decorated with Chrismons made years ago and it is beautiful.

Tanya said...

Wow! What a gorgeous tree that turned out to be!