04 April, 2022

Chrismon Crunch

I went to a Chrismon workshop on Friday and came away especially excited after learning how to make this chalice. "The Cup of Salvation" from Psalm 116:13: "I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord". There were some new techniques to comprehend and it was a bit of a struggle to get to the point where I felt comfortable leaving, I still had a few loose ends (literally- wires sticking out!) to wrap up after I returned back home before it was considered finished. It's not perfect, but it represents me, the flawed and sinful person that I am. It hasn't been quite a year since I began this Chrismon journey, the learning curve has been a steep one, but it's such a worthwhile and rewarding pastime. A friend (also a Chrismon maker) mentioned to me yesterday that this is one of those things, that when you're immersed in measuring the wire, counting the beads, wrapping and creating the shapes you can't think (or worry) about anything else at the moment; this is an intense process that demands 100% focus for a few (or more!) hours; but, when you're done, you're done

The physical shop (←click on the hyperlink to read all about the store and its history) where the classes are held will be closing at the end of June, although online sales  of beads, wire, kits and books will continue. There's a time crunch on now to become sponge-like and soak up everything that I can from only two(!) more monthly in-person class offerings. It's "go" time!

Life is Good!

Shown above: the Cup of Salvation and the Crown of the Apostles. 

5 comments:

Katy said...

The Crismon's are beautiful. Sorry that the store is closing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Such a labor of love.

Ramona said...

These two Chrismon’s are beautiful. What a gift and a treasure.

starsthatblaze said...

These are lovely. About how tall is the chalice? It's hard to tell from the picture.

cityquilter grace said...

Beautiful!