31 March, 2022

New Pantographs and Block Boards

I saw a pantograph that I really loved and had to have; in true "one thing leads to another" form I found myself ordering more than one once I had logged onto the website, a dangerous place for me to spend too long! Anyway, one of these new (to  me) pantographs, that I didn't even know that I needed, is "Malachite". I'm excited about the resulting texture on this scrappy Maze quilt that I had pieced a year ago. The Malachite gemstone is a said to bring transformation and promote harmony. I'd say that this quilting design is well named, as it has provided both to this piece. 
I backed it with a length of fabric that I had found "by the pound" at a Pineapple warehouse sale some time ago; it was the perfect amount.  Now the binding's in place for the finishing handwork. 
Do you use Block Boards? It was high time for me to replace the ones I have been using, my old ones were ratty from years of use and abuse. If you'd like to make your own here's a how-to video. Mine are scrappy (I love the look!) because I'm using up the last of a fat quarter bundle that has already  yielded a full sized quilt, a throw, two doll quilts and now the edging for these block boards! Aren't they cute? The sizes that I have here are 18", 15" and 12"; I've found that these are the best sizes for my purposes.
The way that I use mine are as a help for block layout before carrying the pieces to the machine. 
I like to "web" my blocks (less pinning, greater accuracy) by chain piecing, this way everything stays in order and the proper sequence as I stitch the pieces and units together. 
Here's the completed block (on what becomes a great display board too 😉), "Stair Stepper" from the Wonderful Curves Sampler book by those smart and talented Sew Kind of Wonderful women.  Check it out. That's it from around here; a few new things to share and a new month on the horizon... how did that happen? Just when I thought that March would go out like it arrived, lion-like, the lamb has quickly crept in. What's new with you?

Life is Good!

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Your boards are so pretty. I should make some new ones too. Mine look pretty dreadful after so much use. I really like that last block with the petals. I have that pantograph and love it too.

Sandra Coleman Clarke said...

Very nice! I need to make one or two also! What kind of pins are pictured??

Lindah said...

Such a lovely spring block design. I love the contrast of the curves with the straight seams. I have never used the block boards, but they look really handy. I keep thinking that I will make myself a board "one of these days."
Unlike Feb, Mar seemed to fly by and I'm still trying to catch my breath that April is here. Not so ready for the summer temps, tho. Springs usually are short here.
A blessed Easter celebration to you and your family!