20 March, 2022

It's A Mystery

Don't you love a good mystery? If so, I've got one for you. On Thursday I needed to stop at a Post Office to mail a package. Mr. G. and I were on our way to meet friends for lunch, I asked him to stop at a local hardware store along our route that has a Post Office located at a counter in the back part of the store. This particular hardware store stocks a treasure trove of merchandise, it's always fun to stroll around in there and peruse their shelves for items one doesn't normally see on a routine basis. Thursday's schedule didn't allow for any leisurely shopping, I barely had time to post my parcel and get to our lunch date on time. I had to wait in line, of course, for the postal clerk; there were two customers ahead of me. As I waited I glanced around the stocked shelves in the "Housewares" department, right next to where I was standing. My eyes fell on Pyrex baking dishes, the much sought after (by me), and practically impossible to find, 15" X 10" size! I posted here a while ago about needing one for a specific Coffee Cake recipe. There were three of the these pans, stacked neatly on the bottom shelf. Judging by the depth of dust on them it appeared that they'd been there for a good, long while. By that time it was my turn with the postal clerk, I mailed my package and left the store. After lunch I asked Mr. G. of we could stop back by the hardware store for me to pick up one of the baking dishes. He pulled up to the front and dropped me off. I ran inside to the back of the store, straight to that bottom shelf, they were GONE! I was completely shocked, I couldn't believe it. I looked around, in that same general vicinity, and found one; placed up on a higher shelf alongside some unrelated items. The dust had been knocked off the sides where it had recently been handled and moved, but the other two were no longer there. Now, owning one of these hard-to-find dishes became all the more important! I had to have it. I checked it over carefully to assure myself that there were no chips or cracks (knowing that it was the one that had been rejected), there weren't; other than being dirty, it was in perfect condition. I carried it, victoriously, to the check out. The man that waited on me scanned the bar code and said: "there's been a run on these today; someone just bought two like this one." I still can't believe my good fortune. I found something that I hadn't even been looking for on that particular day, in a location that I never would have even dreamed to search for it; and I almost lost my chance altogether! How long had they been sitting in that store? Why did I just happen to stop at that Post Office, that day? I have no idea, but I'm thankful that all the stars aligned for a happy ending. Timing is everything. My new baking dish has been washed and occupies its rightful a place in the cabinet alongside all the 8"x 8"s  and 9" X 13"s. Now, with nothing to stop me, I need to pull out that coffee cake recipe again and get busy! 
Life is Good!     

11 comments:

julieQ said...

Isn't that funny? I am glad you got yours...now bring on the coffee cake!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I SO enjoyed this!

cityquilter grace said...

providence....says it all!

Paula, the quilter said...

Did you know there are 2 different types of Pyrex? I have some loaf pans and the name on the bottom is PYREX (all caps). Another loaf pan is pyrex (all lower case). I wonder what it means? I’m glad you found your pan!

Elle said...

YEA!!!! And the best thing about Pyrex is that it is made in the USA!!!! Double score. Now I need to go hunt one down. I like my lasagna with a lot of sauce/veggie in the Bolognese and it doesn't fit a 9*13 at all!

Happy Sunday and happy baking :-)

Pam Dempsey said...

Wow - I am so glad they left you the one pan! :) Please post the awesome recipe:)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thank goodness you went back when you did - who knows if that single pan would have been there the next day?!

marge jansonius said...

Thank you for your story, you certainly have a way with words that lets me see the whole thing. I happen to have one of those pans now all I need is a recipe for the coffee cake.

Needled Mom said...

What a great story. I’m really glad they left one for you.

Janet O. said...

That is such a fun story. I'll bet the person who bought the other two took the top one off the pile (because it was the dustiest one), and set it in an empty spot on a random nearby shelf so that they could grab and purchase the two from underneath that hadn't collected as much dust. I might have done the same, but I would have returned the first one to its original spot. ;)
Someone was looking out for you in that little adventure!

JustGail said...

Awesome score. I just made some bars that called for 10x15 pan, I had only 9x13 ones.
They came out OK anyway, if a more like cake than bars. I didn't know they still made that size in Pyrex, will need to keep an eye out for it.

I wonder if someone will go back to the spot where they stashed that 3rd pan and be sorely disappointed it's gone.