18 March, 2022

Everything's Rosy...

... or at least now it is! Think of this post as a cautionary tale. I've been working on blocks for the current BOM that I'm attending at my LQS; the pattern is Lady's Scrap Basket by Bits and Pieces. As you can see, I'm doing mine all in shades of red. While joining together some of the blocks into units the other day I noticed some ugly brown marks showing up on the background fabric.
A quick investigation into the source of the staining revealed that I had a scorched area on my wool pressing mat. By applying not only heat when pressing, but then steam and a clapper, I had effectively made those stains permanent by driving the scorch up and through the fabric. I had no choice but to remove those pieces from the completed blocks and re-do them. This actually proved harder than starting over, I later learned; but I wanted to conserve as much fabric as I could.  
Once the new, freshly cut, background pieces were inserted everything looked good again and I could continue. I'm not going to use that wool mat again; it's time to replace it. I had no idea that it was scorched at all, the surface area shows a very slight discoloration but that was only visible after intense scrutinizing. If you use a mat, with a clapper, as I do; keep a close eye on your pressing surface! I'm going to try setting the dial on my iron to "Wool" instead of the higher, "Cotton", setting where it normally resides. We'll see if that works to prevent any future mishaps. 
This is where I am with the completed block units so far. We're about to begin Unit #4. 
It's good to be all caught up and know that everything's rosy in the garden again. 
Meanwhile, I'm so excited to have an orchid RE-blooming; this is a first for me! We keep these plants on the porch in the summer and move them to the bathroom in the winter months. Not only is this one flowering but a second plant, in the background, has sent up a bloom stalk as well! Ever hopeful that they'd bloom again, I'd been content, over the last year or so, to hang onto them as foliage plants!  
Oh, happy day!
Life is Good!

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

lovely blocks and a word to the wise...was hoping you hadn't given up blogging for lent...LOL

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good advice regarding the wool pressing mat! Lovely red and white/cream project. And HOORAY for the re-blooming orchid(s).

Sherrill said...

That's going to be a beautiful quilt but then I think all of your quilts are!! I have a wool mat but no clapper so maybe I'm semi-safe? I'll need to check it from time to time IF I remember. Thanks for the heads up!

Peggy said...

So sorry about the scorching, but Red is my favorite color and I’m in love with 😍 your blocks!

Janet O. said...

An excellent caution to those of us with wool mats and Clappers. I do cover my wool mat with a layer of muslin and change that now and then. But who knows--maybe that isn't enough. I will have to watch closely.
Your red/white blocks are beautiful.
Oh, I know that excitement of an orchid finally reblooming. Congratulations!! That is a gorgeous one!
I have kept orchids for 7 years now, and eventually found just the spot in my home that keeps them happy. Too bad there isn't room there for all the orchids I have now collected to bring color into dreary winter days.

Bridget said...

In the summer I put all my orchids in old wire hanging baskets and hang them in my trees. Amazing how easy and how often they rebloom