02 January, 2023

New Year, New Goals, New Milestones!

Happy New Year! I've given up on any guiding words or resolutions for 2023; I decided that I didn't want to set myself up for any disappointments or failure in that arena. Instead I have set some goals, both short and long term.  With an active, growing puppy in the house, it seems right to set the biggest long term goal for this year as one that sees Augie growing into a well behaved and obedient companion. With a LOT of patience and firm, consistent, training we should be able to accomplish that nicely. He's already been training us, now it's going to be his turn. He begins classes in Puppy Manners and Socialization in a week and a half.  The plan is for him to graduate into basic obedience classes after that, as the year progresses. I've begun having him sit with me at the sewing machine. He's fine with that as he has quickly become my little shadow and enjoys being wherever I am. Even in the chair while piecing!

Leash training has been seeing good progress, he's less interested in biting the leash now and understands the concept of walking while tethered. One step at a time. 
Mr. G celebrated a milestone birthday during the "in between" week of Christmas and New Year's day. We were discussing this week how when we were in high school we were all  reading George Orwell's 1984 in English class. Politics of that science fiction book aside, we thought that sounded like such an outlandishly futuristic date at the time! Now here we both are, all these many years later, celebrating birthday milestones we couldn't even imagine back then, and ringing in a New Year that we would have only laughed about back in 1970!
I did accomplish a small quilting goal last week; another donation quilt pieced by the mother of a friend, for our son-to-be Quilt Ministry closet at church. "Popcorn" pantograph by Willowleaf Studios; it's one of my "go-to"s and never disappoints on any straight/angular patterns, I believe it is a nice combination for quilt tops pieced that way. I have another on the frame right now; one more small, achievable, goal. 
One more goal: I am looking forward to becoming much more
 blog-active again this year. 
In the meantime, I have my hands full. 
You know, it's referred to a "puppy love" for a reason. 
Happy New Year!
Life is Good!

7 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

He is simply full-fledged adorable.

Tanya said...

Augie is so little!!! And my doxie is so big and fat!

cityquilter grace said...

he is just adorable!

Buffy said...

You have the sweetest little sewing shadow I've ever seen! What a gift in this new year!

Janet O. said...

Augie is such a cutie! And lucky to have such caring "parents" to teach him discipline.
Hard to grasp where all those years went so quickly. Belated happy birthday to Mr. G.!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh how I wish our grand-dog (a rescue) had been able to attend "Puppy Manners and Socialization" when she was tiny. She is such a sweetie but she loathes other dogs (who knows what happened to her before she was rescued and adopted). Augie is SO cute - love the photo of him sitting behind you as you sew. (and forgive me if I miss a correction - my spell checker insists that AUGIE should be ANGIE).

Mary Etherington said...

Oh, Augie!!! You melt my heart! Wish I could hold you.