21 March, 2024

All Good Things...

...came to a crashing halt! Literally. Let me explain. Remember how I was on a roll?  Catching up on on UFOs and working both forward and backwards on those blocks-of-the month? I even promised to spend National Quilting Day piecing those blocks that I was behind on and showing you the leader-ender blocks that are taking shape at the same time. Well, truth be told, that didn't happen. Last Thursday evening, as I was wrapping up another whole-house cleaning day and rushing to get everything put away, I caught my foot on the vacuum cleaner hose, tripped and fell flat onto the floor; landing squarely on my left shoulder. Even though the pain was immediate and intense, I hoped it would improve and delayed a trip to the ER for eight hours until I couldn't stand it anymore. X-rays there revealed a three part fracture of the proximal humerus (there's nothing humorous about it!). The best laid plans... interrupted... just like that! I was going to report about quilting this Potato Chip scrappy quilt with the new (to me) Knit 1 Purl 2 pantograph shown here, which I just love. That will have to wait, for now.
I was planning to show you progress on Agnes Platt's Strawberry Sampler by Blackbird Designs, none has been made in the last seven days.
I wanted to share this easy-peasy egg salad tip; I tried this before the fall and was delighted with the results. Crack a few eggs into a greased baking dish. 325 degree oven for 12 minutes. Turn out the baked eggs directly onto a cutting board and chop. No fuss, no peeling hard-boiled eggs individually. Add whatever ingredients you use for delicious egg salad!
Also, while I was in the kitchen last week, I baked up a batch of whole grain pumpkin apple dog biscuits.  Augie wouldn't eat them! Seriously. He's sharing them with friends. 😉🦴
So, here we are; almost a week later. I've seen an Orthopedist and have been moved from an immobilizing splint to a sling. I've learned that there's no rotator cuff involvement and that surgery isn't necessary. Two big cheers! I'll return for a visit with him in two weeks and then begin PT. In the meantime it's rest and heal. The only food coming onto our plates is from the gracious kindness of friends and family who've rallied to fill our fridge and freezer not to mention our hearts! I have SO MUCH to be thankful for! I've been reading and watching a lot of TV; but I've also spent much time in thought and prayer. I know that I need to allow this time of  rest and recovery to occur without complaint so that God can work through me.  I admit though that my plans, and His, often seem misaligned! The words of that sampler above are in my mind today: "The bee~ his labor is a chant, his idleness a tune". I pray for God to let me learn that lesson and to allow this downtime idleness to be tuned... to Him. 
I shall return... it's all good.
Life is Good!

9 comments:

Ramona said...

Oh No!! I'm praying for a quick recovery for you and for you to enjoy your downtime. Sometimes God decides that we need to slow down and listen.... even if we aren't ready. Peace to you!

Janet O. said...

So sorry to hear this. Sounds VERY painful, but really glad to hear you won't be needing surgery.
You are wise to make time for the healing, and let God work His plan into what you had not planned!

cityquilter grace said...

well praise that no surgery is required...but slow healing can be a challenge for those of us with plenty of plans....excellent time to spend time in reflection at easter. i am certain God knows we feel frustrated when things go awry...

Lindah said...

OH no! So sorry to learn about your fall and injury.
Take a deep breath and lean back into His peace.
The nice thing about needlework.... it always waits for us. :-)
I'm glad the folks are taking care of your kitchen for you.
God blesses us in many ways, even tho' some of those ways may not look like blessings at the moment. ;)

julieQ said...

I am so very sorry for your fall. Gosh...sounds so painful, and I am glad surgery was not required. Nice to use this time to draw closer to our loving God.

Quiltdivajulie said...

OUCH! (perhaps there is a bigger message here since you were rushing when you tripped in the hose outdoors and now the vacuum indoors . . . I am guilty of the same behaviors so it is easy to see it in others). HOORAY for no surgery needed!!!!! Please do take time to be still (although I would most likely NOT be watching television) and let everything rest.

Gloria said...

So sorry about your fall and thankful no surgery needed! Slooow is a challenge for many of us! I just boiled eggs for egg salad, wish I'd seen your post earlier!
Will add you to my prayers for healing and patience.

Buffy said...

Take care of yourself. I'm so sorry you had such a bad fall. I'm glad you have so many caring people and Auggie surrounding you to help. Rest well and gain strength with God's help.

straythreads said...

So sorry about your fall. Healing just takes longer than when we were younger.i love that idea for hard cooking eggs I will have to try it I hate pealing eggs.I hope you have a kindle to read on it is so much lighter and easier to handle than a paper book and you can get books from the library on it. My hubby broke ribs in December then I fell and badly bruised my elbow and hip we watched the Longmire series again. There is so little new programming that we care to watch. Wishing you a speedy recovery